Skin on Skin contact with a 4 year old?

Should I allow my 4 year old child to have skin on skin contact with me. He likes to get lay on my tummy to fall asleep, Well the other day I was allowing him to lay on my tummy and he raised his shirt then raised my shirt only enough to show my tummy and he wanted to have his tummy laying on mine. I stopped him because I was unsure about it. When he was an infant I had skin on skin contact. Could he possibly remember that and is that where this is coming from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont see anything wrong with it but if it makes you uncomfortable dont do it- use snuggles with arms or maybe rub his back under his shirt for similar contact?
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 9:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my lil one is only 16months but she also does this, if u are fine with it,i dont see a problem with it.it may make him feel safer and loved more.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Thanks mommas. I dont have a problem with it I was just taken aback by it as he normally just wants to lay down on my tummy. I may try doing it as a special treat. Im guessing it cant hurt anything. Besides I love my kids and will move the moon for them if I had to. I know they will soon be grown and he will not want mommies cuddles.
    Anonymous

• My son is the same age, and in our case, he does it for sensory reasons. Our son is Autistic. We just place boundaries on it. He can do it on our back or tummy, but that's it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Human touch is an important part of our existence. Just because your child isn't a baby anymore doesn't mean he doesn't have a need for it. Just set limits you can both be comfortable with.
    Anonymous

• I see no problem with it bt then again we are a primarily "nekked" household (provided it is warm and noone is over....) Imo it teaches kids healthy boundaries and that their body is beautiful, sacred and nothing to be ashamed of. All great early foundations for a healthy sexuality later in life. Just set boundaries...ie: "mommies breasts are sacred and only for her and daddy, but I love it when we snuggle our tummies."
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My 4 yr old does the same thing, he has to touch me constantly. To go to sleep he has to put his hand in my shirt and rub my tummy or arms back anything. It can make me nuts sometimes but I think I have always cuddled him and rubbed his belly or back to sooth him. I also wondered if it was ok.
    MarthaCrocker

Answer by MarthaCrocker at 7:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• awwww, thats cute. he wants your comfort......this is just fine.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 6:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2009