I am a human pacifier...help?

My 1 month old son will not sleep unless he has my breast in his mouth (I am breast feeding). He gets to the point where he's obviously not eating, just "soothing" himself. We've tried different pacifiers (Soothie, ones shaped like nipples, etc.). He has taken them in the past, but lately there's no way. He SCREAMS until I give him my breast - then he is as calm as can be. We check everything else out - he's clean, not too hot or cold, he's been fed, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any suggestions??? This is definitely not a feeding issue, as he eats well and is gaining weight at the expected pace - confirmed by his doctor. He DOES NOT EAT at this point, he is just soothing himself. HELP!

Diveqat

Asked by Diveqat at 9:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Didn't we already answer this one earlier? Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I thought I did.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I apologize if someone else asked this already - I don't visit this site all the time - it was a venue where I thought I could get some advice.
    Diveqat

Answer by Diveqat at 9:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• All I can think of is to be consistent in trying a pacifier and not letting him use your breast as a pacifier. Maybe he could use his thumb or fingers if it is the feel of warm skin that he wants.

Answer by Bmat at 9:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• its not uncommon for them to "comfort nurse"... its a form of soothing. i know it CAN be frustrating when thats all they want to do, and mine went through periods when they did it almost constantly. but it doesn't last forever- it is also a part of mother nature working her wonders. the extra stimulation ensures the maintained milk supply. and, believe it or not, even though he may not be actively nursing, he likely IS getting some milk, and if this is after a good feeding it is the fatty hind milk that helps them gain weight. as he grows, and becomes more interested in things around him, you'll miss this phase. it comes and goes through the course of a nursing couples relationship. just try to relax, and enjoy your baby. as long as he isn't hurting you, this is what your body is designed for. take the time to read a book, have some tea (take a nap- use a boppy) and chill. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son is 7 weeks old and still doing it. I actually find it sweet, particularly now that I've gone back to work. It's nice to know that I can provide that kind of comfort, and it gives me face time with him so we "talk" and bond. The first night after I returned to work, he latched on for over an hour. I like to think he missed me as much as I missed him.

There are very few things that our babies can do to find comfort-- they can't go read a book or soak in a bubble bath. Our babies feel safe and loved with us, and it's confirmation that they're bonding. I know it's frustrating when you've got things to do, and particularly when our babies do it when we'd rather be sleeping. But remember that this, too, shall pass, and one day (that comes too soon) our babies won't want to snuggle with us.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with obbydobbie and busimommi - - it's probably not what you want to hear as a sleep-deprived new mommy, but the bond that develops is amazing!
    The only real suggestion I have for you is to continue offering a pacifier at other times during the day - he will eventually learn (or re-learn, since you said he took one at one point) to self-soothe with a pacifier and that will carry over into bedtime.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I went threw this too. My lactation consultant sugested breast compressions while he was nursing. (Compressing your breast between sucks). This helps the milk let down and maybe if he is getting milk when he doesn't want it he will let go. Works for me most of the time.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 10:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Normal normal normal. It WILL pass.

You are not a pacifier...a pacifier is a Mom Replacement Device.

Would it be really rude of me to say that a pacifier is to baby as a blowup doll is to dad? Hmmm. I know somebody's gonna rap me for that but there you are. It's a replacement for the real thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• LOL gdiamante you are awesome! I LOVE that comparison! rolling on floor

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009