emergency c-section...

i had to have one :( because my pelvis is too small to get a baby through and he was face up instead of face down. what is that called when your pelvis is too small? the doc told me, but i was upset at the time and i can't remember what it's called. also, i feel sad about having a c-section, i didn't want it. i pushed for a little over an hour and i was very scared when they said they had to do the c-section.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't mean to sound rude ...but i highly doubt that your pelvis is too small. sounds like that doctor didn't want to be inconvienienced.

here's a link.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i agree with PP.

he might have given this reason instead of saying that interventions led to an unnecessary c-section, such as being induced, restricted to bed because of monitors, IV, or epidural, etc.

sorry you had to have a surgery but congrats on your baby!
    Anonymous

• being induced before baby is ready is a big thing that leads to c-section. be that at 38 weeks, or 41. OBs do not want to say well you got a c-section because i agreed to induce before baby was ready, so instead say you got a c-section because ___________ .

Anonymous

• I also this issue. I pushed for like 3 hours and she never went into my birth canal. They said I have a prominent sacrum and she couldn't fit through. I had to have an emerg. c-section and when she was born she was 20 inches long, because she was SO cone headed from me trying to push her out. At her one month appt., she was only 18 inches long. She was also only 6lb 9oz, so it wasn't her size . . . it was mine. I am a very petite woman with narrow hips.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• the babys heart rate was dropping, so yea, i had to have the c-section. at my follow up appt is when she said something about my pelvis being too small.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Oh and I wasn't induced. I went into labor naturally at 39 weeks 1 day and was in labor for 23 hours, before they decided on a c-section.----also her heart rate kept dropping, they kept turning me . . . my hips heart like crazy for weeks after . . . still ache sometimes.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• but that doesn't really mean that the heart rate was dropping because your pelvis was too small. HR might have been dropping because of pitocin, epidural, etc. i just don't want you to count yourself out for vaginal in the future because i am 99.99% sure your pelvis is fine. i mean if you aren't interested in a vaginal delivery in the future, ok, but if you are interested, you might want to look into ways to prevent c-section by avoiding interventions :)
    Anonymous

• Answered at 9:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 by: BridgetC140
    Oh and I wasn't induced. I went into labor naturally at 39 weeks 1 day and was in labor for 23 hours, before they decided on a c-section.----also her heart rate kept dropping, they kept turning me . . . my hips heart like crazy for weeks after . . . still ache sometimes.

were you moving around a lot, trying different positions to open up your pelvis? just curious.
    Anonymous

• I didn't say my pelvis was making her heart rate drop. She was going into distress from me pushing and pushing and she couldn't fit through. Actually, no I wasn't moving around a lot. I was exhausted and had already been in active labor for 20 hours already. I was in extreme pain, I kept puking over and over and I had a fever. I dilated to 7 very quickly, but then came to a screeching halt. It took me over 15 hours to dilate the next 2.5cm . . . I never got past 9.5cm, but we decided to push anyway. I did not want a c-section and they did not want to give me one, but in the end, it was the only way to get her out safely.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i just wanting to add that i am not by any means trying to say it is your fault you got a c-section. i'm afraid i came off that way. i think the opposite, i think it's medical interventions and maternity care in general that is doing this to sooooo many women. there is a reason 33% get c-sections instead of the like 5-10% that really need them. and i don't want to make you feel bad about having a c-section birth, but just to empower you to have a vaginal birth in the future. :) congrats again
    Anonymous