moms who breastfeed

how do u know if u have mastitis? how do u know if u have thrush? and how can you tell if red streaks on your breasts are from mastitis or just plain old stretch marks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know about thrush, but I believe that with mastitis, you have a fever and don't feel well in general. I know that I had pretty bad pain when I first started breast feeding. I asked a friend about mastitis and she said "you know when you have mastitis". As for thrush - I believe, though could be wrong, that your baby will have a white coating on his tongue from the thrush.
    Diveqat

Answer by Diveqat at 9:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic staff

With mastitis, signs and symptoms can appear suddenly and may include:

* Breast tenderness or warmth to the touch
    * General malaise or feeling ill
    * Swelling of the breast
    * Pain or a burning sensation continuously or while breast-feeding
    * Skin redness, often in a wedge-shaped pattern
    * Fever of 101 F (38.3 C) or greater

Although mastitis usually occurs in the first several weeks of nursing, it can happen any time during breast-feeding. Mastitis tends to affect only one breast — not both breasts.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Thrush Symptoms

Infants and breast-feeding mothers
    In addition to the distinctive white mouth lesions, infants may have trouble feeding or be fussy and irritable. They can also pass the infection to their mothers during breast-feeding. The infection may then pass back and forth between mother's breasts and baby's mouth. Women whose breasts are infected with candida may experience the following signs and symptoms:

* Unusually red, sensitive or itchy nipples
    * Shiny or flaky skin on the areola
    * Unusual pain during nursing or painful nipples between feedings
    * Stabbing pains deep within the breast

When to see a doctor
    If you or your baby develops painful white lesions inside the mouth, see your doctor or dentist. If thrush develops in older children or adolescents who have no other risk factors, seek medical care. An underlying condition such as diabetes may be the cause.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• thrush is easy to treat,my dd had it a couple times.save the medication case you need more down the road
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 10:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If you have mastitis you will know.. believe me.
    Anonymous

• Stretch marks usually don't hurt--you can touch the mark itself & it won't bother you. The breast itself might be tender but touching a stretch mark won't hurt any more than touching any other part of the breast.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with the others that you will know if you have mastitis. I went from zero to 102 in about an hour while leaking from a breast that he had just nursed from - it still felt engorged and HURT.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2009