SIGNING PAPERS FOR 17YR OLD TO MARRY

MY COUSINS DAUGHTER RECENTLY FOUND OUT SHE'S PREGO AND WANT TO MARRY HER B/F. THEY ARE 17, WHICH I THINK IS TO YOUNG BUT HER CHOICE. ANYWAYS MY 17 YR OLD PREGO COUSIN FATHER HAS FULL CUSTODY OF HER AND SHE HAS LIVED W/ HIM SINCE SHE WAS 9 OR 10. CAN MY COUSIN SIGN THE PAPERS FOR HER 17 YR OLD DAUGHTER TO GET MARRIED EVEN THOUGH THE FATHER HAS FULL CUSTODY? HE DISOWNED HER WHEN HE FOUND OUT SHE WAS PREGO, HE WONT SIGN THE PAPERS. SHE HAS BEEN LIVING WITH HER B/F AND HIS FAMILY SINCE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If her dad has the custody, then she's SOL. She will have to wait til she's 18, which is probably for the best.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• THATS WHAT I KEEP TELLIN THEM BUT THEY DONT BELIEVE ME!! MY 17 YR OLD COUSIN PRETTY MUCH DISOWNED THIS PART OF THE FAMILY AND HASNT SPOKE TO ANY OF US SINCE HE GOT CUSTODY AND NOW THATS SHE PREGO SHE WANTS TO COME SEE HER MOM FOR THE 1ST TIME IN 8 YEARS AND JUST SO HAPPENS SHE NEEDS THESE PAPERS SIGNED.. HMM... LOL BUT LIKE I SAID NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN... WHAT HAPPENS IF SHE DOES SIGN THEM
    Anonymous

• The custodial parent is the ONLY one who can sign the papers. And, getting mad and "disowning" her does not negate his custodial responsibilities. The only way to do that is for her to be emancipated. And, that is a very indepth process. If Daddy doesn't sign the papers, she will have to wait until she is the legal age in the state in which she lives. If Mom has no custodial rights, then her signature is worth absolutely NOTHING!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i would advise her not to sign.. I got married at 18 turning 19 & i was too young.. we are divorced. encourage the girl to take marriage counseling, finish school & be able to support herself before getting married. anyway I think the father of the girl has to sign.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Even though one parent is the custodial parent, they may still have joint custody. Mom needs to read her custody documents. It may say that both parents have to sign, it may not say anything in which case mom may be able to sign. It may say only Dad can sign......read her documents.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If they have joint legal custody then she can sign them. HE may have had physcial custody but its typical that one parent has physcial & then both have LEGAL which means either parent can make legal choices for the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If both parents have some type of LEGAL custody, in MOST states - if not all - BOTH parents have to sign the paperwork. I would suggest some research on underaged marriage requirements in the state where this girl resides. Even calling the county court clerk will get you that answer!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think it depends on the state hey are living inn. Also, most states only let the custodial parent take on the signing privileges.
    Anonymous

• My mom signed for my sister when she was 16 & wanted to marry. She did NOT have physical custody of her just shared legal. dad refused to sign so mom did.
    Anonymous

• Toally wrong reason to marry. It's probably for the best that he wont sign, but yes, he is the only would who could. She needs support for the baby more than a marriage license. 17 is almost 18, so she can wait.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009