Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Undecided on what I should do. I filed for an order of protection against my ex-boyfriend and unborn child's father. I went to court and the judge granted me an extension for 6 months which will end a month before I am due to have my baby. Should I put the guy on child support, allow him to be part of the child's life, or just do everything on my own and dont include him. My mom doesnt think I should include him in anything but she always disapprove of him. Any opinions please....


Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • if she disapproves, its probably for a reason. not to just side with your mom.
    getting an order of protection isn't easy, i should know after the hell i just put behind me- so, that said... it has to be serious. you can still get child support etc. without a heck of a lot of involvement on his behalf. and you, if you are at risk, should maintain an OP if you can. i know its just paper, but when the cops come, its paper that will MAKE them do something.

    its your life, weigh the risks carefully. if something happened to you, he is the father, and in most cases, would get custody if he wasn't in jail... see what i mean here?
    think wisely, be careful, and decide whats worth your time, energy, stress, and safety. and most importantly, the safety of your baby.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • Child support and visitation don't have anything to do with each other. If a person is a danger to the child, then they should not be allowed to be alone with that child.....that does not negate his responsibility to support the child.

    Answer by EireLass at 10:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • my sons father has to pay me child support and he has absolutely no rights at all to him. He is not allowed to see my son right now and yes its court ordered. in your case, since you have already gotten an extension from a judge with a protection order this makes him look bad. He would'nt have any kind of rights unless they were supervised

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • I personally elected to decline trying to get child support from my ex, i want no contact not even something to remind him of me or my son.... i really hope he just forgets us.

    he has already been deemed a possible danger to my son by CPS and is only allowed supervised visits (never taken advantage of it though)

    I was unable to get an order of protection because i had no address on him after i seperated from him. so severing all possible contact even regarding child support was the way i took to attempt to protect myself and my son.

    But they are right that child support and visitation have no connection.


    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2009