Is it necessary to sterilize bottles and water used in formula still?

If you have city water do you need to boil the water used to make formula? Do bottles, nipples, and pacifiers need sterilized every time they are washed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You only need to sterilize bottles during the first use, and it depends on the fluoride etc. in your city water. The information should be readily available. If it has high amounts of anything, you should boil the water, or but bottled. Our city water is fairly low in anything, so I just sterilized the bottles the once, and used regular city water.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I've been told both things, but the way I figure it-- kids stick all kinds of nasty stuff in their mouths that are certainly not sterilized. My neice likes nothing better than to chew on dog toys.

I think it's sufficient to wash in hot water with soap. As for the formula-- I don't know as I breastfeed, but I can't imagine that you do.
    Anonymous

• I sterilize nipples once a month or so - of course after purchase, I sterilized them before she used them at all. As for water - I purchase nursery water. You never know about chemically treated city water - I ran out once with my 8 month old and had to make just two bottles with tap water - she ended up in short order with a bleeding rash on her bottom. And she'd NEVER had a diaper rash before or since. So I don't give her tap water in formula ever.

Best of luck with your little one! Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 10:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I never did. I just used plain tap water with my older 3 kids (and plain bottled drinking water with my youngest because our water in the town we lived in sucked). I never sterilized bottles. With the older 3 we had a dishwasher and even our doctor said running them through a full wash and dry cycle was enough. Otherwise hot, soapy water was just fine and that's all I ever used for my youngest.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• im breastfeeding this time but with my 3 older boys i ff and i would sterilize the bottles and nipples when they were first bought and i would just use poland spring water to mix the formula it was easier than having to boil water everytime i needed to mix a bottle
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I breastfed, but when I used bottles I just sterilized them the first time and then put them through the dishwasher after that. And I used regular tap water to make the bottles - recent studies show there's less chemicals in tap than bottled.

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Never sterilized. Used tap water. Kids are healthy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It's really not necessary to sterlize the bottles after every use. Just before the first use. After that you don't need to sterlize. Hot water and soap is great, a dishwasher in regular mode, will nearly sterlize bottles anyway
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009