What do you throw away out of your child's halloween candy stash?

How do you check your child's trick or treat candy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have them pour out their buckets when they get done in separate piles for each of them, then we throw out anything unwrapped, and they trade each other for the things they like. Then I keep their candy in separate labeled bags for them in the cabinet - they can have one piece a day after Halloween.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I throw away gum and of course unwrapped candy. I will hide the big bag and put a handful in a bowl on the counter to ration out-lol-I have a 2 year old so I give him suckers in the bathtub while hes taking a bath, or if hes outside playing, that way I don't have sticky spots throughout the house.
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I toss anything I don't like. My kids are 1 & 2 and I limit the sweets.
    Anonymous

• I don't "check" my childs candy. The only time razorblades or candy was poisoned was when PARENTS tried to poison their own children! But I do throw away anything already opened- and that icky hard candy that senior citizens try to hand out.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My parents would throw away anything that wasn't in a wrapper. People actually would hand out apples and other types of fruit. Also anything where the wrapper looks tampered with or even questionable was tossed.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I used to just put the stuff they wouldn't eat in a dish on my desk at work but since I'm a SAHM now, I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. Thank goodness DH will eat just about anything, lol.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i toss the gum, & obviously anything that isn't wrapped... oh, and i "throw away" the tootsie rolls, because they aren't any good (and my kids still haven't figured that one out! lol!)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i throw out the things that are unwrapped or open or the candy that none of us will eat
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 10:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Nothing its wasteful and rude. If we aren't going to eat certain types of candy we save them in a bowl to add onto our gingerbread house we make three weeks later for Thanksgiving. If we aren't going to eat any of it we take it to work and let our coworkers enjoy it.
    Anonymous

• It may be "rude" but we throw out all the cheap chocolate (palmer, etc.). Why would we make others eat it? Ick! I never said a word to my children about the cheap chocolate they realized on their own and we would have a bowl full of those when they were done.
    We also throw out any candy that is not wrapped. It's funny I don't remember hearing any candy issues (razor, poison) since I was a child. Better safe than sorry. Not to mention it keeps them from eating too much candy before we get home. The first night I let them binge on candy for a little bit and then after that I combine their candy and give them a few pieces here and there. I also encourage the kids to share with the neighborhood kids.
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009