Why is Marijuana illegal?

Just a thought? We have so many other legalized drugs that are proven scienticly and through popular experience to have bad effects on our health; i.e. ciggarettes, salvia and so forth but they are perfectly legal. However the government does not allow (most of) the US to have anything to do with it, but WHY NOT?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 10:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because Uncle Sam would have a hard time regulating it and taxing it. Also they make more money off of it being illegal.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I did a couple college papers on the legalization of Marijuana. I would recommend that you Google this question because everyone will give you a different answer. I am for the legalization of marijuana and I don't want to say anymore because I know some ladies on here don't see things the way I do. lol, good luck on your quest for your answer.
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Why is Marijuana illegal?

Because this is what our trusted government and journalists told people back in the early 19 hundreds:

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• trev you have a great point and I think I will research that!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Glad it's not. All the people I know who use it often are lazy losers, in there 30's living off their parents or other family members barely taking care of their kids.
    As for the stupid "government" reasons. They could easily work it the same way they do tobacco and other goods.
    Anonymous

• Because of the wonderful BS campaign that was used to make mj illegal in the first place, thank you Hearst, DuPont and Ainslinger. AND the continuing campaign to keep it illegal, thank you alcohol/tobacco/pharma/timber/cotton lobbys.

Those industries that feel threatened by mj have spent countless dollars convincing our politicians to keep mj illegal. 

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I know many intelligent, educated and successful people who use mj regularly. Doctors, lawyers, teachers and executives. Y'all probably do to but they don't advertise due to the stigma attached.

MJ prohibition has NOTHING to do with the plant itself and everything to do with bigotry, racism and protecting corporate profits.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Because it's just that- a weed. And they COULD grow it an tax it! Think about all this wasted money on the "war on drugs" Arnold Schwarzenegger is "debating" legalizing it, for the tax profit! http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/05/06/Schwarzenegger-Marijuana-debate-is-needed/UPI-82621241635254/
    LEGALIZE! TAX! Bring our country out of debt.

(Oh, and anon :31, all the people who smoke I know are highly profitable, and hard-working.)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It is pretty ironic being as George Washington grew, harvested and sold hemp--one of the strongest and most durable fibers around.

I really don't know why--the stuff tends to make people pretty mellow and happy doesn't it? I have never tried it so I wouldn't know.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I can see the pro to taxing it but I'm not for it. We are a massive country in population unlike Holland (which comes to mind) and can you imagine all the high people in addition to the drunk people? The alcohol we've proven we cannot control so why would we control ourselves getting stoned? And how is it better than alcohol (our legal drug, if you will)? And if we legalize this, what is next? I have been stoned like many people many times but I disagree with legalizing it. I'd rather you legalized cocaine. At least you'd be able to move and talk and drive.
    Anonymous