I just carved pumpkins. What do I do with the insides?

And how long do I have? I carved them just a few hours ago and the insides are in a bowl in the fridge. It was 2 little ones and most of what I took out was seeds. What can I cook with the gunky and "hairy" insides? Got recipes?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 10:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can take the seeds unrinsed and sprinkle salt and a tad of olive oil plus hot sauce and bake them. Some people like to dry them overnight but we toss them into the oven with the goop for more pumpkin flavor. All the pulp though, I guess you could make pumpkin soup but I just recycle it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my mom always just threw them in the yard for the birds
    Anonymous

• if you fill a large bowl with water and a handful or 2 of the goop, the seeds float and the goop sinks. A slotted spoon will scoop out the seeds. I boil mine in salt water for 10-15 mins then drain, toss w/ a little olive oil and a little sugar and cinnamon and bake at 425 for alout 25 mins, stirring 3 or 4 times to get even browning. Delicious. Boiling in salt water gets the seeds salted, but not chunks of salt, which usually wont stick anyway. YUMMY!
    ChandaAnna

Answer by ChandaAnna at 1:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• roast the seeds in the oven =) yummmy
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 2:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• the hamsters and goats love the guts
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• puree it and make a pie, bread or muffins out of it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well I want to know what you carved? lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• make a pie its easy peasy
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 11:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Just funny faces and stars =) I don't think I have enough for a pie but I'll mix it in w/ the canned pumpkin and bake the seeds.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You might be surprised at how little a pumpkin can be to make a pie with :) You only need about 2 cups of pureed guts. The shinier the pumpkin, the high the sugar content and the yummier the pie. Here's the recipe I use:
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 9in unbaked pie crust
    2 cups fresh pumpkin
    1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
    2 large eggs
    1/2 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn ground ginger
    1/2 tspn ground nutmeg
    Directions
    1. Preheat your oven to 425F and whisk your pumpkin, condensed milk, spices, eggs and salt in a large bowl until it's nice and smooth. Pour this into your crust and bake for 15mins.
    2. Bring the oven temperature down to 350F and bake for another 35 minutes (stick a knife 1 in from crust and see if it comes out clean...if yes, it's ready). Let it cool for 20-30 minutes.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009