Why does my 7 week old always get the hiccups??

ABryn1011

Asked by ABryn1011 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Completely normal. My son is 3 months and he still gets them all the time. Try burping him/her more often and see if that helps. My pedictrian said expect a lot of hiccups and sneezing for the first few months!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Ok. That's a relief. He sneezes a lot too. while I was pregnant he got the hiccups at least twice a day too.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Developing nervous system. The system is still new and still has some developing to do, and that's normal. What happens is two signals will get sent at once to the diaphragm and it will get confused by the conflicting signals and then hiccups occur. It happens at times even to well-developed nervous systems obviously, but that is why it is more frequent in babies still in the womb and newborns.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 11:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My daughter had the hiccups 4 times yesterday and she just turned 5 months. It's completely normal. They are just getting used to everything. When I was pregnant, my daughter had the hiccups at least 4 times a day. It was soooooo weird feeling. But it's all normal.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I always found giving a little more formula and then a good burp worked best for me.

vinnynfredsmom

Answer by vinnynfredsmom at 11:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009