How to get rid of a yeast infection during pregnancy?

Okay so this is my first pregnancy and my first yeast infection so im not even sure thats what it is. Im 32 weeks pregnant and Ive had an itchy Vagina. I thought it was just opening or something but I asked my Mother who said it may be a yeast infection.... How do I get rid of it? could it be something else? Is it harmful to my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i have been asking stuff on here about this too!!! i look forward to seeing the answers :) i'm 5-6 weeks though. my understanding is that a yeast infection cannot hurt the unborn baby but if you still have it when baby is born, baby could get it and it could cause problems. BUT if it's something other than a yeast infection, it could cause preterm labor. so you should definitely check with your OB or midwife :) my first appt isn't for 4 weeks. tonight i am trying garlic vaginally and if that doesn't work i'm going to get monistat or something similar. i have had a yeast infection before and i'm pretty sure that is what i have now, i also tested my PH with one of the tests they have in the same section with the monistat and my ph is normal which it would be with yeast infection. i am really itchy and burny so i know how you feel! here is something about the garlic

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp
    Anonymous

• Just get over the counter monistat, that's all the doctor will tell you to do. One time she wrote me a prescription for vaginal suppositorys. The pharmacy tried to charge me $126 with insurance! I told him no way and he took me over to the right aisle and told me to buy monistat and that it was the same thing.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• try the over the counter stuff....if it doesn't help, call your OB...you may need a prescription.

wear cotton underwear....no baths....sensitive soap....
    Anonymous

• yes, the dr. will say monistat, but before that you could try eating yogurt.... that always helps me out.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• if this is your very first yeast infection, you're dr will want to see you to make sure it's not anything else. he might give you a pill to get rid of it or tell you to either get monistat in the 3 or 7 day dose. the 1 day dose might do more harm than help (that's what the nurse told me)
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009