Has or would your DH or SO ever agree to counseling?

My husband and I are not anywhere near a "breaking point" but I do think we've hit somewhat of a rut and we just don't seem 100% happy at the moment. I think the major issue is a lack of communication. I try to tell my husband how I am feeling and he thinks I'm just trying to guilt him and I ask my husband why he seems on edge and he just says everything is fine because he doesn't want to talk about it. I think overall it is just a lot of change that has happened lately and us not sitting down and discussing it. Anyway, I'd really love to do maybe just one counseling session. Just to better teach us how to relay our feelings to one another in a way that works for both of us. My DH is pretty much completely against it and thinks I'm silly for thinking we even need to do it in the first place. What do you think? Has your DH or SO ever done marriage counseling? How did you convince him to do it? How did it turn out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe I gave the wrong impression. Our marriage is not necessarily "not working" at all. I think compared to most people we know we're probably doing just fine. I just feel like there's this tiny little void that's popped up and since we can't talk about it it won't go away. It's just a feeling of being 99% happy, but missing that last 1%. I don't want that 1% to get any bigger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We have not needed to do counseling but we both willingly would if things ever come to that. For us, divorce is not an option except for extreme circumstances.

In all honesty though, ONE counseling session isn't going to help you much IMO. However, you might try reading "The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate"
    GREAT book. i loved it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My husband did agree to it. I didn't have to convince him to do it. If he seems unhappy and isn't communicating I don't see how he wouldn't think counseling is needed...it probably won't just "go away".
    Anonymous

• we haven't need counseling yet (crossing fingers lol) but if we did there's a good chance dh wouldn't go. He said if you need to pay someone to tell you how to make your marriage work then maybe you should't be together.
    Anonymous