Vegas help?

DH and I are planning a Vegas getaway together in December...first adults-only time we will have had in a while!

We are Vegas newbies, so I'm looking for ANY thoughts: bad hotels, good hotels, bad restaurants, good restaurants, bad shows, good shows...whatever you have.

Blab away ladies!

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 11:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Travel

• Thanks! Does anyone have any thoughts on staying at one of the hotels on Fremont Street? We are mostly concerned about dining, gambling a little, just relaxing and enjoying ourselves...I don't think we feel the need to play commando-tourist on our first trip, so is it necessary to stay in the middle of the Strip?
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Go see Rita Rudner! She's freaking hilarious and probably the best date we've had here. We saw her for our 11th anniversary. That show is really best as a date. If you only go to one show, that's the one! Phantom is also good, and Penn & Teller was another one I loved. By far though, Rita Rudner has been my favorite.

Since I'm local, I don't have any advice on the hotel rooms, but I can tell you that downtown, the Golden Nugget has the best pool, with a water slide that goes through a giant shark tank. They also have the best food downtown. On the Strip, I like Treasure Island best for food. If you have a rental car and plan to leave the main tourist areas, I would suggest eating dinner at Nora's Cuisine. It's at Flamingo and Decatur, and is a teeny little place in a strip mall, but the food is incredible!! They were featured on the Food Network a while back.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If you want to go sight seeing, check out Red Rock Canyon. It's beautiful up there. Mt. Charleston will also be a great place to go during December, if you enjoy that sort of thing. I'm not a winter person, so I personally avoid the mountain during the cold months. It's really popular though.

Um, back to the Strip... Bellagio fountains and the conservatory are always fun. The Secret Garden at the Mirage. Cesar's Forum shops are fun. Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay is nice, although it's not nearly as impressive as something like the Shedd in Chicago. The Venetian is cool to walk through. The ceiling there cycles so it's always a different time of day in there, and you can take a gondola ride.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Be careful on Fremont St. at night. Unless you're a local you dont realize this but Fremont St. is in downtown & its not in the best part of town. My mother lived in Vegas for many yrs & we visited many times. A friend of mine got robbed coming out of a casino down there in the early AM (and he's a big guy; 6 ft 4) It's fine to go down there but I would not stay down there. Try to make sure you stay in well lite, active areas. Just a caution for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Don't stay on Freemont street. The money you spend on cabs to the strip will cost you a fortune and using the bus at night is kind of creepy down there. Freemont street is not very big and really not that cool. I go to Vegas often and rarely ever bother with going down there. If you're looking for a cheap hotel and don't mind it not being the most luxurious place on Earth stay at the Flamingo. The location is great and it is usually pretty clean. Remember on hotels what might seem like a good deal isn't if you have to stay at a dive miles and miles away you'll waste money on cabs, buses or whatever to get there. If you rent a car you're paying parking everywhere you go! Food you have to have the buffet at the Bellagio it is excellent no matter what time of day you visit. All of the buffets are pretty good. You can do a one day buffet pass at Excalibur for 25 bucks and eat there all day.
    Anonymous

• Thank you very much for the advice guys, it has helped a lot!! Much appreciated.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2009