Puking and coughing up blood....

My friend is 8 weeks pregnant and she's puking and coughing up blood....she called her doctors emergency line and they said to suck on something and she would be fine. Then she called the ER and they said if it wasn't constant to not come in because they would just send her home!! This wasn't a little bit of blood it was ALOT of bright red blood!!! What should she do if they don't want her to go to the ER? I told her I would still go because blood like that means something is wrong!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• story -

The nurses on the phone laughed when my dad called about my sister getting a bad cat bite...it sounds normal, put some ointment on it, and go to school.

But it was a feral cat which gave her a horrible infection, and her ankle quickly swelled up to where she couldn't walk on it.

She had to spend 3 days in the hospital, and the Doctor called in everyone, pointed at her ankle, and told them from now on to take cat bites seriously over the phone.

moral of the story - the people on the phone don't always get everything right.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Well, personally, if I were coughing up a lot of blood, pregnant, or not I would NOT have called the ER, I would have gotten myself up there ASAP! Who cares if they send you home for nothing, it's better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

• well, if she went to the ER it would probably relieve her fears especially if they proclaim her healthy enough to go home. if you both are that worried, then get checked out. all they did was tell you what they would PROBABLY do. things can change when they see exactly what's going on. if it was dull red then i wouldn't be worried, but if it's bright, then it's fresh. my hubby would prolly have me go in.
    Anonymous

• Puking? ER..no. Coughing up blood...YESSSS!! Coughing up blood is never normal...I don't care what anyone else says. Worst case scenario...she goes there and everything is fine and they send her home. BUT SHE NEEDS TO GO ASAP!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I would go to the hospital still. It's better for her to know herself instead of relying on docs opinion; they didn't see the amount of blood or color and some people exaggerate so they may not be concerned due to that, but your friend knows and obviously needs to put her mind to rest and just go.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009