Living with your parents or inlaws???

What do you think of living with your in laws? or even with your own parents..??? please advise...thanks!

mommyposh

Asked by mommyposh at 11:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• I did both while married. It did not work out. The in-law kicked my husband out (so me and 2 month old baby went with him of course) because they weren't getting along. I had to live with my parents when my husband went to boot camp. It is a mistake. People talk about making money that way, etc, but it isn't worth it. At least not to me. And when you have kids things get so more complicated.
    Anonymous

• I lived with my IL's
    And i pray with all my heart and soul that i will NEVER have to do that again. EVER.

I love my IL's. They are wonderful people. ...but they are very invasive compared to how i was raised and do not always accept me for me (which is also different then how i was raised).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I currently live with my father, he needed taken care of when he got out of the hospital, husband lived here with me for a while before he ended up cheating so now I am in need and my father doesn't mind the company. But I mind it, he's driving me crazy! I love him but he thinks I'm still 12.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 11:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I would not get into the position where I needed to live with anyone. That's not me.

I'd let my parents/inlaws move in when they are elderly and needed someone to help out.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• thanks for your answers. Just help me..how could I tell my mom about it..in a nice way that she wouldn't be offended..
    mommyposh

Answer by mommyposh at 12:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Tell her you think it would interfere with your good relationship with her. A lot of times it can....My parents both went completely **rabid** when I told them my financial situation was not their business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Me, DH, and our toddler live w/ my parents. We have a bit of a unique situation, though... I got pregnant inn college before DH and I got married, and my parents converted their basement into a complete apartment for us, b/c while DH has a job that provides health insurance, it doesn't pay enough to allow us to afford the high rent for a large apartment or house in our area. And my parents are pretty great - they leave us to our business and love having our son around. Not that the situation is ideal - I would give my left arm to have our own place and as soon as DH gets a promotion or better job we will - but it isn't always a terrible situation. It really depends on you, your SO, and your parents' personalities, and how much each person is willing to bend for the others. But it can work out, just so you know... THere are complications, though. My son once called my mom "Mama", and it almost broke my heart...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2009