how do i keep from going crazy?!

my newborn has been nursing on & off for about 2 hours now! i really want to go to sleep & i'm by myself so it's not like i can just pass him off to someone else. he falls asleep and shortly after i put him down he gets all fussy again! i've burped him several times. he doesn't need his diaper changed. i'm really getting frustrated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe the baby just wants to suck might not be hungry but likes sucking and thats what your there for try a pacifier and lay him on your chest and try and sleep like that thats what me and my husband do we leave him there for atleast a half hr then we can usually move him to his bed swing bc something or we just sleep with him whatever works! it does suck i know but yu can do it!!!
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 7:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• This is normal!! He is either going through a growth spurt, trying to build your supply, or just comfort nursing. Hang in there momma... it REALLY does get easier. Just try to cherish this time with your little man, because before you know it, he will be grown!!
    Anonymous

• try giving your baby a pacifier and swaddle him real well. I hope you get a little sleep!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• That's why I had to switch to formula... I was almost a week with only 1-2 hours between feedings...all day and night!! I was almost not sleeping at all!! So for my health & sanity and my family's I switched to formula and he went almost immedialty to eating every 4-5 hours. It was heaven getting 4 hours sleep in one chunk!! :

Anonymous

• welcome to motherhood!
    Have you tried a bouncy?
    You can get comfy and let him fall asleep on your chest-at least you both might get some sleep.
    Each baby is different in temperament. Mine was horrible for months--we used a bouncy, swing, car seat, you name it....sometimes babies are just fussy....lack of sleep for mom is normal...it will get better!!!!
    forget the housework for now-sleep when he sleeps...try and eat right....if you ever feel like you will just lose it, put him down and go to another room for a few minutes.
    Do you have anyone to help during the day? Even for an hour or two? It would help alot.
    This is tough on your own--but you can do it!!! Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

• I feel for you. When my daughter was born I don't think I slept for more than an hour at a time for the first year. This was the only way she would let me sleep. Spread a nice, thick blanket on the floor. Lay down with your baby and try nursing laying on your side. I haven't had to do this with the last two but with my daughter it was the only way. She would sleep away from me. I would lay on one side and nurse and while she was nursing I would nap a bit. She'd tap me when she was finished with that side and I just wrap my arms around her, roll to my back with her laying on top of me and burp her. Roll to the other side and go to sleep while she finished nursing. You can do this in the bed too but it gets a little scary when they are old enough to roll over. Baby's don't fall off the floor.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The baby just wants to feel affection. If he does not take to a swing, swaddling, or other, you may want to sleep with him for a bit longer. I know it is hard, but it will not be like this forever. If baby is not crying, mommy can sleep. He cannot roll over until 3 months, so it okay . I used to just keep boobie service open all night. After alll babys tummies are so small. Give it a couple months before doing the transition. But dont stop trying to get him used to the crib. Good luck!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• He's probably not getting enough milk . Do u switch sides if not try that or do what the other members suggested.. Baby is probably still hungry.. If u do switch to formula make sure that you listen to the baby after each feeding, if baby still cries after finishing the milk you might want to gradually give him more..

Also baby might be cold so wrap him up tight (not too tight) and eventually he will fall asleep. Don't forget to burp your baby. Always remember, babies talk by crying that their way of telling you what is wrong or what they may need..
    Everything will be fine, just keep your cool. And if u like coffee, drink plently of it.. This all shall pass and he will be sleeping through the night very soon. Then you will be saying, "my baby is growing up so fast". You will miss the infant days..

Take care!
    mommy1245

Answer by mommy1245 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• He's getting enough milk UNLESS you're not changing enough dipes.

This is NORMAL. Welcome to motherhood. Most newborns DON'T sleep...no matter how you feed them. (I have my doubts that the sleepers are real babies...I suspect they are changelings. **grin**)

This is why co-sleeping was invented! Learn to nurse lying down WITH the baby. It'll make ALL the difference. And YES, he'll learn to sleep on his own in the crib when HE is ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Totally normal, go lay down with your baby. You can sleep while your baby nurses! my son would not sleep without a boob for the first 12 weeks. We got through it and so can you! My son has never had a bottle or a pacifier, you don't NEED those things. I was by myself when my son was a newborn because my husband was deployed, so I know just how you feel. You can do this. :)
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2009