what are the details about an elective c-section??

how long was the stay in the hospital??did your baby go home before you??
whats the recovery like???

skin172

Asked by skin172 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• mine was somewhat elective. I went in to hospital to be induced 3 wks early because my ambiotic fluid was dangerously low. Induction didnt work and they wanted to call it a night and start again the next morning.

I chose C-section the following morning.

I was in the hospital for 4 days and my son came home with me. (he was premie so i dont know the average stay for babies)

Recovery wasn't bad for me... couldn't drive for 3 weeks afterwards but i was up and walking by day 4 and easily walking by day 5.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i have had 2 scheduled c-sections (repeat c-sections). with c-section #2 i stayed for 3 days and came home with baby, and with c-section #3 i stayed 2 days and came home with baby. my first c-section was an emergency, but i stayed 4 days and came home with baby. your insurance will pay for 3 days in the hospital for a c-section (if everything is routine..... of course you will have to stay longer if you have any complications). my recovery with the emergency one was hard, but that is probably bc i had severe pre-eclampsia. with my other 2 i was up and about when i came home and i didn't take any pain meds after i left the hospital. i think when the baby comes home depends on the health of the baby, but usually they will room-in with you at the hospital and come home with you whenever you are discharged (i mean if everything is going normally)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Is there a huge issue going on with you that you need an elective c-section? Mind if I ask what?

Baby usually goes home with you unless you have a complication or baby has a complication...

My advice is to choose your hospital very carefully. Request to know infection / death rates at the hospital and choose the one near you with the lowest .. I say this because the hospital I went to had a 30% infection rate and I didn't know that. I would've chosen the hospital 45 minutes away instead that only had a 6% infection rate. I got a nasty infection and it complicated things for us quite a lot. Recovery from a c-section, feels like someone is pulling your insides out of you all day at first, especially when breastfeeding, but it gets better after about a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Some insurance companies won't pay for elective c-sections. I would check to make sure.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had an elective c-secton because by baby was footling breech, & I did not have much imbiotic fluid for the doc to try & turn him. I wnted him born on Halloween last year. Ironically, I went into labor 6 hours before the scheduled proceedure.

I was treated very well in my hospital stay. It was a Friday morning. If there is nothing wrong with the baby at birth, it will be with the mother at all times. If there arent aNY health concerns. The stay is typically 2-3 days & meals. I recovered fast. I was up & moving the day I returned home. Note: I reccommend resting for 2-6 weeks as required by the hospital.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Another thing: Contractions happen AFTER a c-section. So, you dont get away with not having pain.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My c-section was not elective , I had an emergency c-section. I wish I knew more about post care of a c-section because I knew you bleed after a CS but I didn't know muh, neither did I know that your vagina is sore and yeah it hurts like hell honestly. Breastfeeding was a challenge at first because my left nipple is inverted and my milk came in after 2 days. Some women never experience issues or complications with CS, so I hope that if you choose to have one done, do your homework and listen to your body before, during, and after.. GOOD LUCK !!
    mom2hailie

Answer by mom2hailie at 1:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• if the c/s is not needed then don't do it. it will be an unnecessary major abdominal surgery. there are more risks to a c/s than a vaginal birth, even if you've already had a c/s.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thanks for answering I was just curious about c-section's
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009