Shoes for my one year old...

To be honest I really haven't ever made my daughter who is one wear shoes. The weather has been nice and she hasn't been walking. But now that it's getting chilly outside and she is walking around she needs to wear shoes. She *HATES* wearing them. Any time I put them on her she throws a fit and acts as if I'm torturing her! I know it must seem weird to her. Has anyone else had this problem? I was also wondering what to look for in a comfortable shoe or if anyone has any particular ones that they prefer. Thanks!

Bears.Mommy

Asked by Bears.Mommy at 11:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• little ones have fat feet. Shoes are stiff. they like to use their toes. A lot of things are factoring into your daughters resistance to shoes. She probably walks well by now, but have you ever tried a soft-soled shoe on her? I recommend pedipeds. You can buy them online. They are a little pricier than shoes from say, Wal-Mart. But they are worth it to keep your babe comfy. They are roomier than normal shoes to accommidate chubby feet, and will quickly mold to her foot shape. No arch support - little ones dont need that. It can actually be uncomfortable and sometimes unhealthy. Another option might be to get her some slippers to wear around the house to get her used to having something on her feet. Try some with her favorite character on them that she will want to wear. Reward her for keeping them on, even if its just for 10 mins. Just keep trying. Baby steps! (yes....pun intended =) )
    ChandaAnna

Answer by ChandaAnna at 12:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Pedipeds are amazing! Ava loved them. I think because they are so flexible, they seem like thicker socks.

http://www.pediped.com/Product/CategoryInfo.aspx?cid=52
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 12:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• try soft soled shoes, I have a friend with a two year old, who still won't wear hard soled shoes, so she wears pedipeds. my little guy wore robeez for the longest time. i loved them.
    you could also try wee squeak shoes. they are shoes with squeaker in the heel, that help encourage kids to walk. she might like that they make noise. then you can take the squeaker out when she gets over her shoe phobia. :)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• She is not use to shoes and they restrict what she consideres to be normal movement so she is protesting! RIght now any shoes will bother her but soft would be best. I did have this issue with my girls. My son the oldest had shoes since he was about 6mos. My 4 yr old we actually did not have money for shoes and it was the summer so like you I was like why bother? Well she would literally hold her feet with the new shoes and rock back and fourth and SCREAM. I was like you...OMG Those were soft shoes and she was oh about 10-11mos. I just put them on her several times a day for short periods. Within a few days of that she FINALLY walked in them! My 19mos old also protested...She was like 9mos and she would scream also and crawl. She walked at 8mos but refused to walk so basically I just did with her what i did with her sister and it took her longer but within a week she finally walked.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son didn't start wearing shoes until after 1year old. He protested at first. When I would put htem on he would just crouch down onto the floor and start crying. He refused to walk, etc. The shoes that he finally did wear (and like) were hard soled and velcro. They also were light up. He seemed to get a kick out of the flashing lights that happened when he walked in them. It was hard at first. Maybe try loading her into the car with only socks on (so her feet are alittle cold) and then put the shoes on so she realizes that they help keep her feet warm. I dont' remember if I did this- but it seems like something I would have tried. Good Luck.,
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:06 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I love Nike's sensory motion shoes. We have 3 pair and I will definitely buy her more if I see them in other colors I like! They're really easy to get on and off and the soles are really flexible. DD likes them!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Soft soled shoes are great on their little feet - - my kids loved robeez and pedipeds, as well as see kai run. They are all a little pricier (30/pair) but they are better for their feet than hard soled shoes.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• crocs. I hate the way they look but my dd loves the way they feel. If I put anything else on her she walks over to her crocs and says "shoes" and tries to put them on. She also walks weird with other shoes and sometimes falls down. Try it, see if yours has the same fit mine does.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2009