when did your.........should I be worried?

when did your baby start walking? My dd is 12 mo old....she stands holding on to things but that is IT!!! We got her one of those toys with wheels they push to help them walk. she pushes it, sits down crawls to it and then stands up and does it again. If I try to stand her up and hold her hands to walk, she starts jumping around (playing) instead of "walking" should I be worried? I feel like she should be walking!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every baby is different....yes, on average, babies usually walk by 12 months but some are zipping around at 9 and some wait a bit....I wouldn't worry--you'll soon be wishing she couldn't run around!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much. My son didn't start walking until 15 months but my daughter was walking at 9m. I think she wanted to keep up with her brother. I would enjoy them as long as possible before they start walking because after that you will be very busy with her :) GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son was 13 months... my daughter was 10 months. All kids are different. My bff's daughter didnt take her first step til she was 16 months old. Just depends on the babies. :) Give it some time.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I know just how you feel! My daughter started walking at almost 16 months but once she started it wasn't even a week later that she was nearly running! Don't worry! It will happen!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Mine didn't start until 13 or 14 months. I didn't mind! I wasn't in a hurry to have to chase them!
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Personally I wished my daughter had waited a bit longer to walk. She learned just before she turned 11 months. Ever since then I've been having to chase her around and get her out of everything. The later the better!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son started cruising around when he was 9 months old. His first birthday came and went and he still wasn't walking on his own. Around 13 months he just started to walk. He never did the 2-3 steps back and forth from mommy to daddy. When he was ready- he went for it.
    Being around his cousins (3 &4) helped him realize what he was missing out on (he visited them and was walkig the next week). He didn't spend a lot of time around other kids his age. Maybe bring your child to a park/childrens museum and let him check out what all the other little people are doing- It might give him the confidence needed to take the plunge. :)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• by "him" I mean "her"... sorry:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Our lo started @ 9 mos.
    jaycesmommy08

Answer by jaycesmommy08 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The younger of my 2 sons didnt walk alone till he was 15 mo old. Today he is 15 years old & has won medals in track. Soooo, obviously it didnt impair him a bit to walk later. "Average" is 12 mo. I had ONE of my kids walk at 12 mo. exactly. And she's the biggest klutz (not being mean; she trips over air...even she admits this. its a running joke here)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009