ewww, what is this, what to do?

I get these boils on my thighs and sometimes on my butt and it is so disgusting! They can be very painful and filled with this nasty puss. I am ashamed of it when i get them. What can i do to get rid of them? does anyone know what could cause them? does anyone else have this problem? I've seen my regular doctor and they said its just ingrown hair folicules and just to put vasiline on it but that has not worked. I'm thinking of going to the dermatoligist but idk what they would do. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• It could be MRSA.
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/Furuncle
    Prognosis
    Some people have recurrent bouts with abscesses and little success at preventing them.
    Causes
    Furuncles are very common. Furuncles are generally caused by Staphylococcus aureus, but they may be caused by other bacteria or fungi found on the skin's surface. Damage to the hair follicle allows these bacteria to enter deeper into the tissues of the follicle and the subcutaneous tissue.

Furuncles may occur in the hair follicles anywhere on the body, but they are most common on the face, neck, armpit, buttocks, and thighs. Furuncles can be single or multiple.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 12:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• can this be caused by shaving and waxing? Are you saying it may be a staph infection and could it be contageous?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• do you know of anyway to prevent these boils from popping up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I get them if I eat too much sugar.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If you go to the website I pasted in my 1st response it'll give you more info. I think I read somewhere that if they reoccur you can have a doctor prescribe something. Yes it can be a staph infection and the drainage infection stuff could be contagious, just if you mess with it make sure you wash your hands very good!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had that. Shaving can be a source of cause. So can wearing tight pants. Sweating can contribute to these problems. All were factor to my problem.

I only shave a little past the knee. And I try not to wear tight pants. I still do, but the shave decreasment helped it some. SOme people just have skin problems. Sorry, I feel your pain!

Forthor more, I get boils on my face & used to on my back. Touching my face & smoking contribute to my acne. When i do not do that & actually wash my face at night, I look pretty clear.

Do you sweat? Maybe just being more hygenic so the sweat does not collect dirt and grease in the pores.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i don't really sweat. maybe from my thighs rubbing together, but i even remember getting these boils when i was a little kid. Sometimes i would get them right in my panty line in the crease of my leg when i was little and i would cry because it hurt so bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• hi! i used to get boils NON stop! they kept popping up one after the other.once one disappered another would form.and all on my ass.they were sooo painful. i had no idea what to do. SO..i began to think what could be causing them all of a sudden. i changed my diet.limit sugar(sodas is what it was for me) i began to eat healthy.oatmeal, fruit veggies..limit junk food. and i clean the toilet seats and bathtub down every 2 days with hot water and antibacterial cleaner.becausethese places where we sit and bath can contain staph. and i also wash my self every night THOROLY with antibacterial soap.dont reuse each others towels. and dont shave in those areas you get them.where loose fitting clothing as well. i have done all of these steps and continue to do these steps and have not had a single boil in over 2 1/2 months:) yaya.also when you get one and you want to pop it.heres a trick..CONT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• CONT..get a glass bottle and fill it with boiling water. let it sit until the bottle is extremly hot.then take a wash cloth and dump the water out of the bottle, then press the bottle while holding it with the washcloth into the boil(make the opening of the bottle around the boil) press down hard.this doesnt hurt and it creates a suction and pulls all of the pus out. it works everytime. also drink tons of water!! i wasnt drinking any water before and now i drik like 10 glasses a day. sometimes our bodies try to discard toxins in our body and cant get them out naturally(thru our bowels)and they come out on our skin,thus being the boil. really it comes down to leading healthy lifestyles.also stress caused it too.i hope i helped ya out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Hidradenitis suppurativa-Considered a severe form of acne (acne inversa), hidradenitis suppurativa occurs deep in the skin around oil (sebaceous) glands and hair follicles. The parts of the body affected - the groin and armpits, for example- are also the main locations of apocrine sweat glands. Apply a warm washcloth or compress to help reduce swelling.

Gently wash the affected areas with antibacterial soap.

After washing, apply an over-the-counter antibiotic.

Wear loosefitting clothes and underwear to prevent skin irritation.

Avoid shaving the affected areas to prevent skin irritation.

Don't smoke. Stopping smoking has many health benefits and may improve the course of the disease.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2009