my son is 8 months and doesnt know how to eat... what should i do

My son is very smart but when it comes to food he gags! Everyone of my friends babies are younger than my son and they are on 2nd baby food and my son is still on first! I know they all learn differently but he is gonna be 9 weeks soon and doesn't eat... I don't know what to do please help

christinkie

Asked by christinkie at 1:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Never compare babies. It's a fool's errand and you don't have time for foolishness, right?

Continue to offer but don't sweat it. He'll manage better when he's ready to do so. Expect messes.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My girls did that and it turned out that they just didn't like baby food..i ended up pureeing regular food..and they also ate apple sauce a lot!! or maybe he doesn't like the texture..try giving him soft foods like bananas and such..i know they say not to but i gave them to my girls at a young age and they are definately healthy!!
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 2:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• thin the food out. it could be the texture. my daughter has GERD and couldnt deal witht he texture of baby food so she went straight to table food
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Start with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk or formula. Then try a bit of baked and mashed sweet potato. Then try canned pumpkin, cooked and mashed beans, cooked and mashed apple, carrot, zucchini etc.

Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i know they say not to but i gave them to my girls at a young age and they are definately healthy!!
    ___
    They say not to? I've never heard that. I've just heard that giving jarred baby food or making your own by pureeing or mashing up table foods, is your choice. In fact, my pedi was very happy when I told her that I was going to just start table foods at 6 months instead of using baby foods.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009