My 3 year old and sleeping

I can not get my 3 year old on a good sleep schedule if I wake him up to early he wants to nap and if he takes a nap he will be up late and if he doesnt nap he still stays up late even if i get him up early he is driving us nuts and wehave tried everything

michellej135

Asked by michellej135 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It might help to know what time he goes to bed at night on a "good" night. Knowing the overall schedule might help. I'm son has similar problems with naps when we get off our usual schedule. If he naps, I usually make sure he's asleep by no later than 1:30 and up by 2;30 (I do sometimes wake him up). If he takes a later nap, I limit it to 30 minutes. He's usually in bed and asleep by around 7:30 (if he didn't nap) or 8:00 (if he did nap). He wakes up between 7:00 and 7:30.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry. One of my daughters was like that and I've watched children from families battling the same problem.

Does your son seem to do better if his nap is limited to a specific amount of time, like an hour or two? Or does he seem to do better if he is woken up by a specific time (here the length of nap doesn't matter...just when he's up by to give him enough 'up' time before bed)? Or could it be a combination of both? If you're not sure, you may want to experiment and see. Give it time though...a week doing one thing and before seeing if it makes a difference before moving to the next thing. Oftentimes we want results and sometimes can't wait long enough to make sure it's had enough time to work. Also, keep a consistent bedtime for him, even if he doesn't go to sleep within a reasonable amount of time in the evening. It'll get better! Good luck!
    dimplz125

Answer by dimplz125 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009