I'm scared to death of the swine flu!!

I hardly go anywhere because I'm scared my 4 month old might catch the swine flu. I constantly germ-x my hands after I touch any surface when we go places and I carry Lysol and use it when necessary. I just hear about people dying from the flu and it terrifies me. Are there any other precautions I could take other than the vaccine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• yea. stop using germ-x and lysol for starters. That's only going to lower your immune system so that if you actually do catch the flu it will be a lot worse. your body actually NEEDS to be exposed to different kinds of germs in order to develop properly. Especially that baby.
    Breastfeed your LO. That's the best preventative measure for the baby.
    Take Vit D sense you aren't going out much you probably aren't getting the sunlight you need. Take Vit A, eat lots of probiotic yogurt (not too much though), wash your hands when appropriate and get lots of sleep. Also, a general overall healthy eating habit will be most beneficial.
    GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The vaccine isnt a good idea. I recommend you look into a woman named Dr. Sherri tenpenny and eduacte yourself before vaccinating, esp. against H1N1. The media and the pharaceutical companies WANT you to be scared. Thats how they make their money. Did you know the GOVT gives legal immunity to vaccine makers? If you get sick, die, or have any adverse reactions to the preservatives or any other component in a vaccine, even if it hasnt been fully tested on humans and they KNOW they are giving you something potentially hazardous, there is nothing legally they can be held responsible for? That SHOULD SCARE YOU more than the flu. Google it. Dr Tenpenny's website has all kinds of info regarding vaccines and what is actually in them and what they do to our immune systems.
    ChandaAnna

Answer by ChandaAnna at 1:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thanks ouatanding love! I'll keep those things in mind. Chana, I am not planning on getting the vaccine, I've heard too many bad things about it (true or not I really don't care) and it's too new to fully trust just yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Pursue Disinfectant CleanerProtecting Against the H1N1 Influenza Virus

http://npalmer2.qhealthbeauty.com/products/product.aspx?itemno=E3878

The recent global outbreak of H1N1 influenza virus (swine flu) has highlighted the
    importance of proper hygiene, including the cleaning and disinfecting of hard,
    nonporous surfaces.
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recently noted that products currently registered for use against the influenza A virus will also be effective against the 2009-H1N1 flu strain, as well as other influenza A virus strains, on hard, nonporous surfaces.
    Amway Global’s PURSUE® Disinfectant Cleaner One-Step (EPA Registration Number 6836-138) is effective on influenza A virus; therefore, it is considered to be effective on the H1N1 virus.

palmer10ten

Answer by palmer10ten at 1:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• 2000IUs of Vit D daily and breastfeed.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Our choice doesn’t HAVE to be: getting the H1N1 shot or getting the H1N1 illness. Try this 3rd option: the only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid contact with H1N1 despite precautions. CONTACT with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as is proliferation of the germs once they arrive.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications)....
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• 2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or stroke & your hands are clean).
    3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and cause characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative practice.
    4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at using a Neti pot, but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton swabs dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*
    aeneva

• 5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C. *If you supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption. Zinc gluconate also boosts your immune system.
    6. *Drink as much of very warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm. And the hot liquid also kills them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• This will keep you from getting it and if you nurse will help keep your LO from getting it. Personally my children and I started doing this last year to ward off the regular flu and DH thought I was crazy, but then he got hit with a terrible flu and no one else in the family got it so he is doing it this year too. For my kids I have them just swish the salt water in their mouth and then swallow since they can't gargle yet. You could give your LO a small amount of salt water in a bottle each day and also swab their nose. My kids are okay with a nasal flush.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The best way to protect your baby is with breastmilk.

My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine will has Thimerisol/mercury.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009