has your child ever had bronchitis?

how long did they have the symptoms... did they have a fever come and go for a long period of time?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter had broncitis at around 1 year. She had a stomach bug first so was already weak then got a nasty cough/cold. It quickly turned into broncitis and she had to use a nebulizer. I think she had a low fever (she doesn't get them often, so even 100 or so is a big deal) but can't remember how long she had it. I don't think it lasted too long. But the cough lasted about a month. She was out of day care for 2 weeks before the drainage got better and the infection was gone. But those coughs linger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i took my son to the ER last night and they said it was bronchitis. I had already taken him to his pediatrician twice before who said it was just a seasonal cold, and i also took him to an allergy specialist who said he had a sinus infection. The allergy spec. gave him lots of meds and some amoxi. for the infection but the ER said it was'nt strong enough. He has had a fever come and go for over a month now and has had this horrible cough too! He's had to do the neb as well. I was just wondering does it sound normal for bronchitis to have a fever come and go for over a month like that? What do i do if this stronger antibiotic does'nt work?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My ds has asthma so he will get asthmatic bronchitis a few times during the winter.  We are actually dealing with it right now.  He first got it at 5 months old and he is now 10 yrs old.  He has a great ped. pulmonologist.
    What works for him is his nebulizer.  Pulmicort respules in it first, followed by Xoponex respules, 3x/day.  Antibiotics is usually Amoxil, but only if he has a sec condition such as an ear infection or sinus infection on top of it.  If it's just bronchitis, it's usually viral & antibiotics wont do anything for it. Just has to run its course.   But always watch for the sec issues.  He will also take a cough syrup at night to help make sleeping easier, called Tussionex Pennkinetic. 
    As for fever.  He may or may not run a low grade fever.  
    http://icanbreathe.com/store/cwmchild.html great for outside wear to keep cold air out of lungs.

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My thoughts, since my daughter has a sinus infection right now (for 3 + weeks!). My pedi said that sinus infections are hard to get ride of and he even said that omoxi is fairly ineffective against it. So the stronger antibotic should help more than what he's on now. With sinus infections, there is a lot of draining downthe back of the throat, which means there is probably a lot in the lungs. It's reasonable that he'd have broncitis now associated with this and that the fever would come and go as his body fights. If the stronger antibiotic doesn't work, they will probably try one stronger then admit to hospital. The thing about broncitis, is it can quickly become pneumonia (sp?)! And there can be so many other reasons for the fever and cough. So just keep taking him to see doc/specialists until you get it resolved. I know it sucks to keep going back, but you do want him to get better. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes and she took breathing treatments for it for about a week
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2009