Gay male kindergarten teacher . . .

My child has a male kindergarten teacher. He is a really great teacher and my child loves him. However, I recently found out that the teacher is gay. I know I will be attacked for this, but homosexuality is wrong and it is a sin. I know some people disagree, but I am strong in my convictions. I am worried about this and I approached the principal saying that I do not want my son to be exposed to homosexuality at school and I want my child in a new class. The principal says that the teacher's sexual orientation is private business and not a valid reason to move a child from a class. She will not grant my request. Should I just deal with it and keep my mouth shut? Do I go to the school board? How do I explain to my son who LOVES his teacher that he is not the kind of person I want him around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have been reading responses and find them interesting. The reality is there is no course of action you can take that will be able to change the class placement of your child while your child attends this school. Your only options to opt out are if you decide to transfer schools. We can debate homosexuality all day long - and we do on CM - but it doesn't address your specific situation. So you have a choice: stay in this school or attend a different school. What is your preference out of the two choices? Now OP the ball is back in your court.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• " He is a really great teacher and my child loves him."

Leave it alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Would Jesus suggest that you keep your child away from him?
    Or would Jesus love him and accept him for who he is, despite his sins?
    Don't you sin too? And all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord so your sins are not better then his sin.

leave it alone.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• How do you know that he is gay?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Children do not discuss sexuality in kindergarten. I don't think that your son will be "exposed" to anyting except perhaps a good education with a teacher he respects and feels comfortable with.

If the teacher is that big of a problem for you- I suggest private school, where you are allowed to openly discriminate based on your religious preferences.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If he is a good teacher, why not accept the fact that no one is sinless and just because you don't agree with his lifestyle- would you want him moved it he was living out of wedlock with a woman? Just as much a "sin" but not something you'd be so in arms about, I would bet.

Leave it alone and remember that saying about glass houses...
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, you should let it go, and NOT EXPLAIN it to your son, and I am positive he will never know. He isn't being "exposed" to homosexually at school, because the teacher's  sexual orientation is his PRIVATE LIFE. Unless you've seen something that he should no be exposing children to, then I honestly don't see what gender he prefers has to do with him teaching children. It's not like he's teaching THEM to be gay, or "gayness" is going to "rub" off on you son just by him being his teacher, sheesh. Homosexuality is not something you child will be forever sheltered from anyhow. Just teach him the your values, and belief and leave it in Gods hands.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My BIL's Cousin is a Gay kindergarten teacher :) and a great father too. He's NOT talking about his sexual orientation with his KINDERGARTEN class you homophobe!
    Anonymous

• Just make sure your kid has a very strong male role model in your husband.

He ain't going to get that at school.

But I'll spare you the preaching about how Jesus wants us to expose our kids to the homosexual lifestyle.
    And save yourself the aggravation next time because you'll get nothing here on CM but women whose hearts bleed for homosexuals.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• although i don't agree with being gay...i really don't care if other people choose to be. As long as he isn't teaching your son his beliefs then whats wrong with it? If he's not reading storys about kings marrying kings then you should be fine with him. The school board would only look at you like you were stupid. That would be like a white person saying they dont want their child to have a black teacher. Its just wrong today. As long as he's not talking about his home life in class it should be fine.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2009