What would you do?

I am a single mom who has been looking for a job for a long time. I finally found an opportunity from an older couple to help at their home doing yard work while my children are at school. The husband (in is late 70s) has made a few comments that I felt were demeaning towards me but I let them go because I really need the job. Today he offered to give me a ride home so I wouldnt have to walk. When I was getting into the car, I mentioned that I didnt want to get the seat dirty since I had been sitting in the dirt pulling weeds. I was turned toward the door, closing it when he touched my rear end, laughed, and said dont worry about it. I decided to ignore it at the time and went about with the conversation. Im wondering what to do, I am supposed to return tomorrow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to stand up for yourself. bottom line. If he was 30 and did that would you let him get away with it? Have some self respect and dignity. How bad do you need money that you would let someone touch you inappropriately and make you feel uncomfortable? Not acceptable. I dont mean to offend you, but its not OK to let this go on. Dont you think you are worthy of respect? If you were working in an office and your boss did that, you could have him fired for sexual harassment. DO NOT allow yourself to be taken advantage of. Do you have a daughter? Set a good example for her. Go to work tomorrow and if he makes a gesture or comment you need to nip it in the bud and STAND U FOR YOURSELF
    ChandaAnna

Answer by ChandaAnna at 1:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thank you ChandaAnna, that is exactly what I mean to do, I am just wondering what to do/say. This really threw me for a loop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Oooh, that's ugly. I'd look for another job and keep doing the one you're at until you find one. I'd also let today's situation slide but be firm the next time something happens. I'd also say in passing your views on this topic in front of both of them to make sure they're aware of what you're okay with. Bottom line, though, is this is an under the table job (right?) and it is a lot harder to spit fire and keep your job. Working direct for people is bound to get sticky because there's no repercussions for poor behavior in place.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 3:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• slap the sh*t out of his old dirty ass, hard enough to send his cheap dentures into the neighbors yard. no really....slap the living daylights out of him.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• set him straight NOW. he's a dirty old horny man and if you don't say anything that gives him the power to control. Command respect now IF you need to keep the job. He'll respect that and you will feel empowered.
    imomnews

Answer by imomnews at 8:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• http:www.scentsy.com/My2Scents

This is how I make money from home. If you're interested in it, just let me know. I'm happy to help with any questions or details. If you want to stick with what you've got...be strong, and make yourself known. No matter what you do...you are a beautiful woman. We're always here for you on cafemom if you need us.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009