How do I get my son (only child) out of only child symdrome?

My over 11 and a half month old son, seems to have only child syndrome. When he wakes from a nap we can't put him down without him crying. If he doesn't get to play with something, and we take it away he will throw a fit. He'll stand in his high chair or on the couch and wont listen when we tell him to sit down, or if we physically sit him down he screams. Then refuses to eat(with the high chair). He's getting better, but when playing with one or more of his 7 cousins he'll get mad if he has to share. How do I fix this??!!!

CadensMama117

Asked by CadensMama117 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That doesn't sound like only child syndrome to me.
    That sounds like a toddler pushing boundaries. :)
    Be consistent. Never back down. And it's time for him to start have consequences for his actions. ...He wont understand it right away, but seeing as he is displaying he behavior now it wont take him long to catch on once you start enforcing the rules.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• That isn't "only child syndrome."

That's called "being a toddler."

The cure is TIME. And then he'll find new ways to get on your nerves. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• That's just a kid that age being a kid that age. It's not only child syndrome. If he's 15 and doing it, then worry. :) Seriously, though, he's behaving perfectly normally. Doesn't mean it's acceptable, but it is normal. If he doesn't listen to you, do whatever you've determined is appropriate to discipline him. If he won't share or throws a fit, take him away from the situation and don't take him back until he calms down and is willing to share. You don't have to leave the place, just the situation. I used to just remove my son from the little circle of kids and make him sit in my lap until he could calm down.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2009