Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how does chidsuport work? does the government keep some of my money?

I talked to a worker and i didn't quite get it clear, do i get the whole amount of what im suppose to receive or does the government keep a percentage of some? can somebody explain the pros and cons? please...

Answer Question

Asked by _LAMORENA_ at 1:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in About CafeMom

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • but of course...i get mine on this debit card and they take out like a 5 dollar processing fee every month, i dont know if its the government or if its the card company

    Answer by shay1130 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • I get direct deposit of mine & they only take out $10 at the beginning of every yr for that service. which makes no sense since its saving time & paper & postage!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Were you or are you getting TANF? If you are then they keep your childsupport & keep issuing you the TANF. If you are & you chose to get off it & take the support then they take a percentage to pay back the TANF you already got.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • My ex was issued to pay $100 a week i do not get welfare or anything. I get a check once a month from the Office of Child Support for $400 a month.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • ok so i have welfare & i recently applied for child support but i haven't heard from them for that.. i went to the welfare office and applied there for child support there was i suppose to go to the court house? by the way i live in San Diego. CA whats the best choice.. my baby's daddy is trying to convince him to just drop this case what should i do hes not responsible for my daughter at all he only watches her 5 a day while i go to school and he doesn't even change her clothes or diapers.. yeah hes an irresponsible father

    Answer by _LAMORENA_ at 3:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • If you're receiving welfare, then I'm surprised they didn't file for child support for you. But no, you should not drop the case. He will send his child support payments to the welfare office and they will give you your welfare and then any child support that was OVER the welfare amount, if any. Even if you don't get any extra money, at least he will be paying back the government what they are paying you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.