BF moms-Whats your method in relieving one very full breast?

I've been BF for 7 mos and i use my right breast way more than my left to nurse (I still use the left daily, just not as much). I find that if I don't pay attention and alternate breasts, my right will become very full. So I try to switch off and only use my left, to try and get them the same size again. However, my left doesnt get any fuller, but my right feels like it will explode. How do you relieve your breast and get back on track to equal sized breasts?

Bernie19

Asked by Bernie19 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I was engorged I'd just express some milk manually or with a pump, just enough for it to be comfortable again.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I'm almost the same as you. I only let her nurse off my right and pump my left. It just always been easiest that way. If I do have a problem with one or the other I pump. Or you can also just get in a hot shower and squeeed, manually pumping.
    As for getting them the same size the only thing I can think is nurse more on the other side.
    Good luck!
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 2:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Put a baby on it!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• When you feed off of one pump the other one and get them both as empty as possible after you nursed. but you will still have your milk in case your baby gets hungry. And this will or should make more milk come in. That's what I would do anyway. I was all about storing it when I was nursing...until she got teeth lol
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 5:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• idk. wish i could help. Never really had this problem, I just switch nurse according to whichever one is fuller.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• a hot shower usually helped but you have to watch if you express the milk from the side you usually nurse on it will just produce more milk as it is a supply and demand thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Hot shower, hand express, or just let it run into a towel while you nurse on the left.
    To get them equal size you have to nurse more often on the left and even then they may not be equal. I'm smaller on one side and I nurse both side equally.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 7:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• pump, put child to breast more often, ice packs....Best of luck Dear!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 8:06 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I usually pumped my milk or I will express the milk out myself during a warm shower..with my last two children i would also start off with the fuller breast at each feeding..
    lulucollins23

Answer by lulucollins23 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• This is more common than you think - children often have a preference for one over the other and I have been told that they can taste different - also, one may be more comfortable for you so you unconsciously encourage the child to feed from the preferred boob. Smart boobs that they are, the more often they are used, the more milk they produce and before long you have lop-sided boobs. I had this problem when I was travelling with my child and had no pump - I was in tears with the pain - I manually pumped and also used a warm cloth - cold cabbage leaves work well too (don't mock it til you try it - works like a charm). My 2nd was not a good feeder initially so I was advised to put him on the same boob for 3-4 feeds to ensure he got the back milk - I think if you put babe on the unused boob repeatedly for a number of days, you can encourage more milk production & reduce the wear and tear on the preferred boob - good luck!
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2009