5 month old sleeping pattern

my daughter will be 5 months on the 4th, and im just wondering how often she should be sleeping during the day..she usually takes a nap about every 2 hours, unless were out somewhere then she will stay up longer..but when were at home she gets so cranky about every 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, so we put her down for a nap...she really fights it, but still goes to sleep and sleeps for atleast an hour or so...i was told by someone that shes sleeping too much..she still sleeps thru the night no matter what..whats your experience? first time mom here

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's sleeping GREAT! Now go throw salt over your shoulder because publishing the schedule ensures that she'll change it...just to make a liar of you.

Relax. You're fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Ignore people that tell you baby is doing too much of this or two little of that. You're baby is doing what is natural for her. They are just comparing based on their baby or the babies they have known or what they think is right for no reason at all. Just smile and nod or say hmm and keep doing what you are doing. I wish dd had slept that much. It sounds like you are lucky. I would not deprive her rest or let her stay cranky because of someone else's thoughts. But, you may try paying closer attention and see if maybe she is fussing because of something else (potty, hunger, etc) and gets better without needing a nap.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Sounds great! Enjoy because as she gets older those naps will eventually decrease! My firstborn was like that - I could set my clocks by him. He would be ready for a nap 2 hours after getting up!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• That was about how much mine was sleeping at that age, and I did worry a little that he was sleeping too much. He slept from 8-7 at night and then took two two hour naps in between and one one hour nap. But he's 11 months now, and although the nighttime sleeping is still great the naps have decreased and I have a hard time keeping up with him!

Answer by missanc at 7:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I get told my daughter sleeps too much too because she goes to bed between 9-10 just about every night and wakes anytime from 9-12! she doesnt do it often but there are days she sleeps til noon! as long as they are healthy and you arent forcing her to sleep you are doing just fine. babies need 14-16 hours of sleep between night time and day naps. You are doing just fine! let her sleep when she wants! They grow when they sleep!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2009