Why did you choose the career that you chose?

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 3:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• When I was 13, they gave everyone in my grade an aptitude test. Journalism was one of the areas where I tested high.

Then Barbara Walters got the evening news anchoring gig at ABC, and I was hooked on the idea of TV news.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My first Career is/way in aesthetics. I enjoy it very much. I have very healing hands and love to make people beautiful in a natural clean way by enhancing their own natural beauty. I still enjoy doing this, but when the economy crashed I was laid off and then I became pregnant. When I got off mat leave there was no job for me in my chosen feild. However here in Canada if you are on unemployment of any form - including mat leave - you can alpy for a back to school grant. I chose ECE because when I go to play group with my son it feels like home to me, and the idea of being paid to work there was absolutly amazing
    Now I work from home in aesthetics and I am going to school for ECE
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 4:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My first career was a fitness professional. I owned a gym and loved it. But got a bit burned out after 13 years and now I love the computer. I love home business where I network online all day.
    imomnews

Answer by imomnews at 8:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I chose teaching because I have always enjoyed working with kids and I love history so I went to school to become a social studies 9-12 teacher. Also, having the summers off didn't hurt!
    After I left my husband, I went to school for pharmaceuticals so I could make more money and have a more flexible work schedule.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I love math. But I didn't want to teach and I hated finance. I swore I wouldn't be an accountants becuase my dad was one and I never saw him. But here I am, an accountant - just one test away from my CPA. I work at a smaller firm and they are very flexable and family oriented so I have no major problems (except for tax season) with getting time off and spending time with my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I chose to be a nursing assistant because when I was 14 I watched my 13yr old brother get run over by a truck and didn't know what to do. Watching him in the hospital and all the nurses taking care of him just made me want to do something good like that and I wanted to have more knowlege of what to do in emergency situations. I am also going to school to be an RN. There have been situations since my brothers accident that have warrented a calm certified person and I am glad that I am confident enough to stay calm when everyone is freaking out and do what is necessary until the paramedics or what not come. I love helping people and that is why I chose my career.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I love chemistry, I love physics, I love math. Chemical Engineering combined all of those.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I always loved computers and math. I taught myself to write computer programs by the time I was 10. I chose my undergraduate major based on that and that I also liked accounting (the business side as well as the techie side), which led to me being a programmer/analyst.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My story, I studied computers and advertising. I couldn't find a job fast enough in computers, so I worked freelance. I created a start up in online and print advertising, but it failed. I was very close to applying to Walmart, when I got hired in finance. I sold my talents cheap and started cheap. I grew to become a bookkeeper after one year of experience, but I also put together printed and online material where I work. I think that I will stay with finance because it seems to have more promise than my other experiences.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Anon:14 - Good luck on your last exam. I am a CPA and I know how good it feels to pass that last test!

I started out as math major, but realized I didn't really want to be a teacher. Accounting seemed like a logical move. I now work for a small firm which is very flexible and supportive - they even gave me 8 weeks paid maternity leave! January through mid-April is the only time it's very stressful, but my family has learned to deal with that - my husband does most of the cooking and some of the shopping during those months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009