Am I doing something wrong??

I don't think my son is getting enough to eat. He is 13days old & was in the NICU for the first 7days (due to low blood sugar & a bacterial infection). They had him strictly on formula the first few days because I was unable to see him (had a c-section & couldn't get to the NICU). I was finally able to BF but my production has been slow. By the time I left the hospital with him I was BFing about 90% of the time. Since then I have tried my best to not give him formula, & have even continued pumping, but I think I'm either not producing enough still or maybe I'm doing something wrong...because he is eating every 2hr but is STILL hungry! I've been mixing my pumped with formula just to satisfy him, but I can feed him on the boob for a half hour & he'll still eat 40-60cc's out of the bottle as well! & this is every 2hrs (3hrs if I'm really lucky)...am I doing something wrong?? I can't seem to satisfy him!!

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are doing just fine!!! Breastfeeding newborns DO eat every couple of hours - -breastmillk digests very easily and then they are ready for more. Also, nursing isn't just about nutrition, but also comfort - your baby may be suckling for 30-40 minutes, but no necessarily taking in a lot of milk that entire time, just sucking for comfort. That's ok. And it is rare that a woman can't produce enough milk for her baby - the more they eat, the more your body will produce. This means that as they get bigger and need more milk, your body will increase it's supply based on the baby's demand. However, this also means that if you are routinely supplementing formula, your body will begin to make less because baby is eating less. The best way to establish your supply is to put him on the breast.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Maybe you should just switch to bottle feeding. I had to because my baby wasnt getting enough to eat either. But it was hard because Breast milk is sweet so ur baby mite try nd refuse to eat formula. Ya kinda gotta work with him nd keep trying to feed him the bottle. It took me like 2 to 3 days to get my baby to take formula.
    Tara04

Answer by Tara04 at 3:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The only thing you're doing wrong is looking for the wrong thing and expecting him to be any different than he is RIGHT NOW.

Being satisfied is NOT in the infant job description. Don't look for that because it's not a true indicator of anything.

How are his dipes?Should be 6-8 daily.That means he IS getting enough.

This early, exepct him to be feeding on the order of 20 hours a day. It's normal and WILL pass.

I doubt you need the formula. And you certainly don't need to switch to bottle feeding unless you want to.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Just keep trying to nurse. Don't deny your baby food, of course. But if you must supplement, try using a syringe and put it at your breast, so that your nipple is in his mouth, but he is getting the (formula, breastmilk) The constant suckling will stimulate your breasts and milk production. You're only 13 days in . . . don't give up on breastfeeding yet as it seems you really want to do it. For now, stop pumping if it's not necessary. You are pumping out milk that may make your breast less full, when baby is hungry. Don't worry about pumping until you have to be away for some time, and only pump after a feeding. I wish you the best. Nursing seems so hard now, but it will be much easier before you know it. I quit at 3 months, because I was very anemic and I was super weak after an emergency c-section...I just couldn't recover. Looking back, I wish I would have stuck it out. My next baby will only have the breast.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Having said all of that . . my daughter is now 15 months, drank formula for 9 months and is a very healthy, beautiful little girl! I do not think formula is bad AT ALL, but if you really want to breastfeed, don't give up so easily as pp suggested. I wish I hadn't and I can't wait to breastfeed again! It's natural, what nature intended. Good luck in whatever you decide! I'm sure you're doing fine, you just have a hungry one on your hands!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• OH AND ALSO . . . every time I would nurse, my opposite breast would leak . . . I started putting a cup underneath that breast to catch all the milk . . . maybe only 1/2 an ounce at a time, but it really builds up. Take that milk, but it in a ziploc bag and put it in a cup in the freezer. It will freeze nice and straight and then you can take it out of the cup . . . also always put a date on the bag. I always also put the # of oz. Like pp, it's normal, babies are super hungry . . . in order to grow, they must eat . .. . . eat eat eat poop, pee, and sleep!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I echo the others minus the first poster. My newborn fed like every hour for the first little while. Pumping may be messing with your supply and I would stop until you are a few more weeks in. Let baby suckle as long as he needs and you will let down again. Drink raspberry tea to help your supply, eat frequently, rest, and drink water. Watch baby's signs- he might be fussy about something else. Newborns usually fuss when they pee, so that could be part of it. Remember its demand=supply, so if you take the rest away and just let baby suckle, your supply should meet his demand. Believe me momma, your body knows how to do this! Just trust it!

Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 5:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• you shouldnt be mixing your bm with formula either ask your doctor about that they dont like that..but they do eat sometimes every hr it has nothing to do with not getting enough could be a growth spurt so he's eatting even more it'll work it'slf out just continue to bf and accept that you wont be sleeping anymore or just put em on formula and let others help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It's fine to mix your breastmilk with formula. I wasn't producing enough bmilk either at first, I spoke to a lactation consultant and she set me up with a "supplementer" which was basically a thin tube that I taped to my breast and the end of the tube at my nipple when I was ready to nurse. At the other end of the tube there was a "bottle" that I could put formula in, so my baby was feeding at the breast, stimulating my body to produce more milk, getting all the milk I was able to produce, and getting the formula that he needed to fill him up. After a couple weeks of that, I was able to ditch the supplementer because I had started to produce enough. Before you stop breastfeeding, I would talk to a lactation consultat at La Leche League or your hospital about a supplementer. If you don't get the help you want, talk to someone else - some are better than others.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well remember that breast milk is a lot thinner than formula. So breastfed babies should eat every 2 hours, new borns for sure! But if you feel he isnt getting enough, i would call the hospital and as to talk to the lactaion nurse. Make and appointment with her/him they will check your babies weight, and make sure that you are doing everything you can do! and if it is ness to mix your breast milk with formula! Good luck! Hope everything continues to get better for you!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009