Pagan/Wiccans ect

How are you celebrating Samhain this year? How are you involving your little ones. I am looking for ways to include my son into our ritual this year, he is 14 months but I am also looking for ideas for when he gets older. He will be at our coven rite for sure, but I also want to do something more family orientated as well

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 3:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For my 3 year old I tell her in story form about our ancestors and what they've done and who they were
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 1:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I am not pagan but I like researching religions what is Samhain If you don't mind telling me.
    As well what is coven rite?
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Samhain is Halloween, it is the time when the vale between the living and the dead is thinest and we can invite our ancestors to our world to - well hang out with us lol, there is usually a feast after at which we dine with our family and friends who passed before us. It is our time to honour the dead. Although different traditions (types of pagans) do things differently - this is more of a broad over view.

A coven rite is a ritual done with a coven, a coven is a group of pagans (wiccans, witches etc); kind of like a parish
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 5:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The Halloween thing is similar to my beliefs with the exception of the hanging out with ancestors though I think that would be kinda cool and I don't believe it is impossible I just wish I knew how to do it. The other sounds better than any church I've been to do to the other people who would be attending. I've met a lot of pagans and wiccans who are really cool. Thank you for helping me understand better I appreciate it greatly.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Anyone can do it. Just take the time out to think about those you lost and invite them into your home for the day. Make the day about them as well as yourself. One of the great things about it is that even if we are wrong it is an extremely therapeutic exercise.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 5:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Cool I think I might give it a shot either way I bet it would be fun. Thanks so much for being kind and allowing me insight!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I do my ritual all alone :( the kids aren't being raised with either my religion or their fathers. But at 14 months I would think he would create more of a chaos energy than a focused one and throw of the ritual. I won't work with anyone under 5 or 6 at the very least and even at that they have to be really mature for their age. The few covens that I attended were always very strict about not working with anyone under 13. For that same reason. But there are lots of things you can do with him to celebrate the day. We usually tell the kids stories about past family members as well as those that helped to shape our lives today. If you have a local town/city museum it's a great time to take them. What a better way to remember our ancestors than to see their work first hand. Historical societies are great as well. Our local one does a "ghost walk" that walks all through town and talks about all the hauntins and great people...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• ...and events that shaped who we are now. Again, a great way to honor the ancestors. You could also tell stories or do crafts... Of course TOT and candy are great fun but there are lots of things that you could do like apple bob or special treats you could make like pumpkin bread with apple cider icecreme... There are lots of options. At his age I would say start small, print out some Samhain coloring pictiures and make up stories or something like that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We do a mute dinner. We dont involve the children but you could if they can be silent for a good amount of time.

My children are 5, 3, 21 mths and I could never get my 5 yr old to be still or quiet for more than 5 mins so I do rituals and things where I need or desire quiet, when they are in bed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My boys are almost 4 and almost 5 and i will not be including them in the High Magick for this rite.

I take them trick or treating and talk about the dead. We might visit a cemetery this time. But my circle will be cast after they are in bed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2009