he still isnt talking...

my son is going to be 3 years old in 2 months, and he just recently started saying ma and da. what should i do??? those are the only 2 words he says. he understands me, but i dont know what to do about him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am not sure your situation, but if he has an older sibling who is talking for him that might be the reason. I have heard of children who don't talk for a while because they don't need to - there sibling(s) do all the talking for them.
    But if you are worried that is something I would talk to your Dr about. Not talking by that age should send up some flags.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 5:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son was the same way mostly grunts and pointing. Everyone was doing it for him, on the other hand I noticed that he realy couldnt stick out his tongue and also noticed that he was tongue tied. He had minor surgery to fix that . He started talking when I put him in daycare because he had to but noone understood him thats where the tongue tied came in. Now we cant shut him up. maybe have his hearing , tongue checked out. If thats not the prob. then try to make him say what he wants by naming things and asking when he signals yes make him try to say it. Good Luck. :)
    MarthaCrocker

Answer by MarthaCrocker at 7:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• There are also neurological disorders that can be affecting him, where he may know what he wants to say but cannot make the correct sounds. I would speak with his pediatrician about speech therapy.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You should look into having him evaluated by your state's Early INtervention (or equivalent) program. Your pediatrician should be able to point you to the right person or you can find the info on your state's web site. My son has been in EI since 18 months (he had some cognitive delays as well) and it's a great program. After 1 yr he's very close to being at age level. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i would give this a try...if he wanted something and didnt try speaking what he wanted i wouldnt give it to him when he points and grunts and crys. I would say, what? I dont know what you want? Tell me!!! I can't get it for you if you don't tell me! If he understands what you are saying if he wants something bad enough then he will tell you... and when he does praise him, then he will start talking.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Call your school district's special education department to have him evaluated for speech therapy. It's still early, although help last year would have been more beneficial.

He should be using full sentences and over 80% of what he says should be understood by non-caregivers.
    Anonymous

• Have the doctor evaluate him or call you public school early childhood/speech department and have him evaluated. It is best to get any issue taken care of early.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You need to check with his Pediatrician. At my sons 15 month check up my Dr. was already asking what words he could say. He may have some sort of delay that needs to be worked on.
    lctmmedina

Answer by lctmmedina at 12:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Call your Early Childhood Intervention ASAP! Get the soonest appt, they only work with him until 36 months. (You only have 2 months to start this and paperwork can take several days to start) After ECI is done with him, you can transition him to speech therapy in Early Headstart. You do need a referral from his dr, but ECI can request that. You'd probably only have a few weeks, but they could also point you in the right direction if there are other problems.

They had us give him choices, do you want cookies or crackers? and having him choose. Reading books and having him point to objects on the pages. Names of animals and their sounds. We'd say, "Cow, Moo". Ours would say "Moo", but that's forming the letter M. Sheep, Baa ( B sound), Rabbit, Hop Hop. He'd say "op, op" and now "hop, hop" so the letter H he can say. It's a process, but I'd get him some help ASAP. Good luck. We have more tricks if you want to PM me.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2009