Riddle me this?

If Christian religion believes in free well as well as our country believes in freedom, then why does most our rules and tax upgrades such as "sin" tax reflect from the bible? Do you believe this is right? If so why? Please NO scriptures.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Don't forget about the luxury tax. I agree with where your going. What's the next "sin" tax on anything that is fatting?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Free will has to do with our personal, individual freedom to choose what we believe is true. Please explain what a "sin" tax is, I've never heard of this.
    gammyp

Answer by gammyp at 6:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Oh sorry On cigarettes and alcohol there is an additional tax which is a certain percent of current tax added on They call it the "sin" Tax I assumed every one knew sorry. I found out from my cousin who use to be a commercial attorney for companies like tobacco and alcohol. I'm sorry about that!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:06 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• another question... how do these taxes people make up reflect from the bible? I know the bible says " render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" , but this is only saying we have to follow the laws of paying taxes to our governments. Laws are laws and soceity needs them to function. Whether we agree or not with certain taxes, we're still obligated to pay. We stiil have the right to oppose such taxes, by lawfully going through the channels of "opposition". The bible gives no lists of what to tax. If it did, I'll bet we wouldn't have as many taxes as we do today.
    gammyp

Answer by gammyp at 7:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• As you don't wish to see scriptures, as a Christitan I am not able to answer you question fully, without what i say appearing as mere personal opinion. The only thing I can really add is the Bible based explanation of freewill is a whole different matter and of quite different substance to political and societal freedom in general.
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 8:16 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• how do these taxes people make up reflect from the bible?
    In response they don't directly reflect the bible rather than the religions reflection of what is wrong and right according to the bible. Christian and Catholic leaders both pushed this tax through because they believe it is a way to enforce gods will and were not aloud to band them entirely.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• As you don't wish to see scriptures, as a Christian I am not able to answer you question fully, without what i say appearing as mere personal opinion. The only thing I can really add is the Bible based explanation of freewill is a whole different matter and of quite different substance to political and societal freedom in general.
    Two corrections there
    1st I am Christian granted my views may differ slightly from yours but I have the same basic beliefs, for a majority.
    2nd Actually yes both freedoms go hand and hand Society takes most laws from religion and most taxes and punishment are incurred from religios input. God gave us free will, and we live in a country promoting freedom!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I'm all for sin taxes. Personally I would much rather they were placed on things that are not needs and things that are harmful than on things like food. I think the title of "sin tax" is more secular than legal. You won't find any laws titled "sin tax laws." It simply comes from the idea that tobacco, alcohol and gambling are not healthy habits and neither is (in the eyes of the general public) sin. Even as non Christians we equate the word sin with wrong doings or unhealthy practices. So it's a perfect fit for things like these. I'm all for them, as I said. And I would rather hear them called sin tax than something like cancer causer tax or liver damager tax... Oh, how about the pocket buster tax?? lol! To me the word is a perfect fit. And the things they cover are harmful, so it fulfills the meaning of the word even though in themselves these things aren't a bad thing in moderation, they still aren't healthy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Not that I am one for more taxes- and I think that sin taxes are crazy. Also- the inheritance tax. They even tax your $ when your dead.

But- faithfully speaking- we render what is Cesars unto Cesar. If the laws do not violate our Christianity then as a member of that society we are to follow the laws. I don't think the laws violate our free will because we always have the freedom to chose a different society.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 2:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I don't think it has as much to do with "sin" as they would like us to believe it does. lol. Most of it is just another way for them to pocket more of our hard earned money.. to justify themselves, they try to show how "sinful" or morally wrong it is.. and although it may be (as in the case of cigerettes)... we all know it's about the money.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009