Has anyone had their gallbladder removed?

If so can you tell me your experiences? Like what was your down time after the prodcedure? I have 2 small kids..And I find out tomm morning when they are taking mine out. Please pray for me. I am in alot of pain and cant hold food or pills down.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• My daughter was born Nov. 14th, on Dec 23rd I went to the ER thinking I was gonna die! They told me I needed my gallbladder removed asap. I had aquired gallstones and they said if they didnt preform the surgery quickly it could kill me. Couldnt have been to bad cause after a little protesting about christmas being two days away and having 4 kids for santa to visit, they let me go home. Surgery was scheduled for Jan 3rd. I went into the outpatient at 4:00pm, surgery was scheduled for 5:00, i was sitting in recovery by 6:00, at 8:00 I was headed home. The only instructions they gave me was not to lift anything over 5lbs( hard when you have a newborn ), and come back in two weeks. I healed very quickly, yes it was sore and uncomfortable for a week or so but it was tolerable. I was still able to clean the house, play with the kids , etc. Dont fret to much it really is a pretty simple thing.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had mine done on a Fri and by Mon I was taking care of my 6 month old by myself. As long as they are able to do it laprascopially it's not too bad. I was sore for a while, but it doesn't keep you down for too long.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• on July 21 09 I had a mexican pizza for lunch from TB and by 3 pm I felt an awful pain im my stomach me and my SO and my 5week 6day old baby girl drove to my moms so she could watch my daughter so we could go out to dinner and go grocery shopping well. we went to a nice steak house and ordered our food. by time it came I wasnt able to eat it. my SO ate his dinner and i got mine togo we went back to my moms instead of going grocery shopping picked up my daughter while we were at her house I was getting sick in her bathroom. so we then headed home 30mins away. by time we got home I had gotten sick in the car. I went inside the house to take a bath thinking that would help. when i got out it was worse. My so had to work 5hrs later so I calledm y mom and told her i neeed to go to the hospital and she needs to watch my daughter. when i got to the hospital. they told me I had pancretitus (SP?) and I need my gall blatter removed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• They addmited me and pretty much starved me for 3 days before i could eat anything. then on the 24th of july they removed my gall blatter. I was so sore after i could barely move. they sent me home that saturday I wish I could have stayed one more nite. Healing isnt that bad just take it easy for a few days and DONT over do it. you will regret it . have lots of help if you can. good luck you will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had my gall bladder out two years ago. It was worth it. I lived with the pain while my kids were little. I shouldn't have. It goes away very quickly. The down time is important and for about a week you will feel distinct pain, but will heal. Then you will need to allow yourself time to heal even after you feel better. After all you took a piece of your body out and you need to adjust.
    Good luck to you!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had my daughter Aug 4 and three weeks later, I went in to have mine out. It was outpatient. I was there from 6am to 4pm. It took about 2 days until I could get up on my feet. I would wake up feed my baby girl and watch tv, nap and do it all over again. I had to take pain pills for 2 days and after that I was okay.
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Yes, I had mine removed 11 years ago, when my son was eight months old.
    iluvtea

Answer by iluvtea at 11:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I had little down time. I wasn't in much pain, the vicadin (sp?) was worse than the surgery. I was out spreading mulch then next day.
    iluvtea

Answer by iluvtea at 11:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was taken to the ER by ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack after eating spagetti with tons of tomatoes. They there said I had acid reflux and gave me meds which didnt work so my Dr sent for me to get a gallbladder scan and there they found I was full of gallstones. I had surgery in Nov 07 at like 4pm and they kept me over night. I was off work for 3 weeks and I was in a good bit of pain and uncomfortable for a week or so. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Mine started to fail when I was pregnant. My doctor changed my diet so I could get through my pregnancy before it was removed. I'm glad he did. Honestly, I came out of the procedure in a lot of pain. I asked for more meds and they didn't work so I realized I needed to show them I was ready to go. I walked down the hall with my husband beside me and they discharged me. I got my prescription for pain medicine filled and took them. I slept much of that day and all night. The next day I felt much better overall. I only took a pill when I needed it and that was only for another day or two.

My advice would be try to have someone there during the day to help with your children for a few days until you know how you're going to feel. I have heard of people having very little trouble or being very sore and needing a lot of help.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2009