How to handle a unique work situation?

In my present job, I was hired by a manager that is no longer employed by our company. He complied with my availability and hired me as part time with no benefits, in trade for a very flexible schedule and no commitments for a full time schedule. Now that he is gone, the current adminstration is pressuring me about this schedule and to work more. I chose the schedule in order to be available to my family so that I wouldn't miss out on events, class outings, meetings, etc. I don't want or (thank God!) need a full time position right now, but I keep getting guilt trips from my co-workers about not working full time. They make comments, cracks and jokes about how I "don't even work full time!" Well, I think if they were the mother that I am, they WOULD KNOW that I work full time...laundry, cooking, groceries, bill keeping, paper work, etc. My husband supports what I am doing 100% so no problem there. Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Be clear with them about your availability. You're priorities are your priorities. If they were to force you into full time work, you probably would resent the job and not give it your best anyway. Stand firm, and don't go "mushy" about it.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Do what you need to do for you...some co-workers may be jealous of your schedule and that could be why they are joking around and making comments---or they could just be joking around...Maybe if you mention that you don't get the benefits they do or something neg. about your position they would lighten up(if it bothers you)---i wouldn't bring up the laudry,cooking,groceries and all that b/c odds are if they are moms they do that too.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 7:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• After working for about 13 years now and going btn 5 jobs, there's one thing I take away with me. The fact that co-workers don't remember you once your gone. They are not part of your life in anyway. Tomorrow you can be replaced. Your family on the other hand is there FOREVER. So who do you chose? With that said, don't let some people that are passing by in your long life to disrupt your routine and make you feel bad. Seriously, you won't even remember their names. So don't sweat it and don't feel guilty. I put in enough hours on the job to realize that "work" does not care about you. Watch out for yourself and your own goals. If you take my mindset, you won't feel the guilt anymore. And I know exactly what you mean about feeling guilty. I experience Sept 11 in the towers and that is one lesson I will take with me forever. I almost stayed in there to continue working so we can push out the deadline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• ...cont... the only advice at the end of the day is that you can't change people and what they think or say. You can only change yourself and how you feel. Don't let them make you feel any less for putting your family first. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• ignore your coworkers consistently, give no response. and keep your stance with your employer, when they say something just remind them they were not there when your work schedule was negotiated. don't give in to any of them and start keeping a record of what management does and says with dates and times, and keep copies in two places.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• When I was a teacher I only worked part time and experienced the same comments. What I started to do was to tell co-workers that I was going to my second job, dry cleaner (code for doing laundry), EMT (code for my child/another family member was sick), etc. I always had a quick, friendly response to any comments. In the end it doesn't really matter what people say, but I wanted to maintain a friendly, professional atmoshpere and people really started to understand my situation. Work is a professional place, but also requires social strategies. Good luck!
    Workadvice

Answer by Workadvice at 9:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If your coworkers are making comments that make you uncomfortable, bring this to the attention of HR or your manager. This is both unprofessional and is creating a hostile work environment.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• what your co workers are doing is illegal.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i would talk with the supervisor or even the head over him. put a letter not as to blame anyone but just to call to their attention your pain; for the sake of other moms. Selfpitty is not as helpful as a wide social concern for sake of others - if they are smart and humain they will get your conscientness and helping hand. if the situation is real bad, i would file a court case for work discomfort athmospere and seek a money refund for your person's hurting emotions, and not a group of co-workers but the employer i would called in it 4 charge. i could offer the manager an exchange of duties (not have them added because than i could not handle overload), but i would stress all my strong points on the job, skills i have and do not use, for them to feel ashamed they do not make right use of the human resources /it's more expensive to hire than utilize/. I would let them have an impression you really not grind your teeths!
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 6:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2009