A Weird Question about the Bible...

I am just curious.
I know that man wrote the Bible, that man claims to have been inspired by God to have written the Bible (books of) and that books have been removed from the Bible by man and that at the end of the Bible claims to be the End of All as we know it or(however one puts it).
Now my ? is this... If "Man" wrote the Bible then, can "Man" add to the Bible now? If he claims to be inspired by God, who is there to say he is wrong or lying?
Why did the Bible end like it did, did those who wrote it think "Man" would not be around now (2000 + yrs later) to possibly add more or did the God of the Bible stop inspiring "Man" all together?
You have some who live by the Bible literally and others who pick and choose parts to live by, why not update it to the current Century since so much from then and now are different, people have changed...
And plz I honestly don't think scripture can help with this answer...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 8:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• idk, I would wonder the samethings.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 8:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with the update thing, centuries ago life is not what it is now.

Answer by older at 9:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• There is too much in your question to answer succinctly and sufficiently. If you would truly welcome answers write to Jehovah's Witnesses at which of these addresses is appropriate for you http://www.watchtower.org/address/article_01.htm
    and request the book, "The Bible: God's Word Or Man's".

Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 9:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I love your question and you are right it is more of a personal conviction then 100% proven.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thank you Mamkind for the information, but I am not looking to convert.... just thoughts, I am a very happy Wiccan-Witch with a curious mind..LOL...
    But I will keep the information saved.... again Thank you....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I don't know how other Christians answer the question - but as a Catholic we don't believe that the bible is the only source of truth for Christians. The bible never claims it is - and in the early part of Christianity, the bible as we know it didn't exist at all so it couldn't be the only source of truth. So we believe that Jesus not only left us with the written Word of God (aka the Bible) but also oral teachings passed on by the apolstes (aka Sacred Tradition) and that Jesus left us with a visible church led by the Holy Spirit and with the authority to teach in Christ's name (aka the magesterium). It's sort of like a checks and balances thing. And the CC has said that the canon of the bible is closed for them - so if someone came up with new "scripture" - it may be truthful, but it wouldn't be considered the inspired Word of God like the bible.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The article "What is Sacred Tradition" explains part of the idea from the Catholic perspective.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• eringobrough, what you are saying is that nothing new (Catholic view) can be added to the Bible?
    That no one other person can claim being inspired by God to have written something current for current times to be added? So God doesn't inspire anyone now to continue the book?
    I hope I am not as confusing to all of you as this is to me...LOL...

I am off and running now ladies will check in later this pm ... taking my neighbor to get her med-i-port put in for chemo treatments...

Thanks ladies for all of the imput...
    Blessed Be
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well I'm with you.

One of our "Articles of Faith" or a basic tenet of our beliefs is:

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

Basically, yes.

Being inspired by God is not the same as writing the inerrant Word of God (aka the Bible).  People can be inspired by God all the time in writings, music, artwork, conversation.  But what Catholics believe is that there will be no new revelations - that when Jesus Christ - God incarnate - came to earth He revealled all we need to know until He comes again.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2009