How/where do you change a baby's diaper on a plane?

I can't imagine they can fit change tables in the bathrooms....just wondering - flying for the first time tomorrow...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the seat beside me...DD gave an off schedule suprise on a plane trip when she was little.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Hopefully we'll have an empty seat to use!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well I traveled for the first time with my ds in March when he was 7 months old and he pooped so I didn't want everyone to smell it, that would be so rude, so I sat down in the bathroom and put him on my lap. Yes it was tight, but we made it happen with no mess!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I laid a changing pad down on top of the toilet lid (after I wiped the toilet lid down,lol). Total PITA, but it was my only real option with a full plane. It is what the flight attendant recommended!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If you can, try to get the bulkhead seats so you can change the baby on the floor. Some airplane bathrooms have a changing table that pulls down in the bathroom but most likely you'll end up changing on the seat. Also ask when you check in if they can put you next to an empty seat so you have a little more space. If the flights not full they will usually be pretty accomodating.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 10:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Some planes DO have changing tables in the bathrooms. THey're sort of camouflaged. I'd ask the flight attendant about the protocol. Some airlines want you to give them poopy diapers in a plastic bag rather than leave it in the lavatory trash can. I might change a tiny baby in the seat if we had the whole row or something, but otherwise I don't think it's polite to change it in the seats.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• all the planes i've been in have a changing table that you flip out from the wall right above the toilet.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I've flown a lot with my two year old and all the planes have had changing tables as described by a PP. I always change his diaper before we get on the plane and don't usually have to change on the flight unless he gives me a stinky surprise or it is a long flight (I changed him during the Portland to Chicago flight and also during a Wash. DC to Phoenix flight). Small planes for short flights might not have those tables but I've never needed to change him during those flights
    mariannainidaho

Answer by mariannainidaho at 10:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I've traveled a lot with my 2 little ones and I have yet to be on a plane that doesn't have a changing table- - they are teeny tiny things that fold down from the wall above the toilet and aren't always labeled well, but they are there. Have fun!! :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009