Please Help, Constipated baby

My 5 month old son is going on day 6 of no poop. Im very very concerned about this... I was feeding him some table scraps last week, off my plate like cooked carrots, bananas, potatoes. He loved it! I stopped feeding him table food Monday cause he hadn't pooped since Friday, it is now Thursday and still no poop, all I have given him since Monday is Breast milk and Prune Juice. Nothing else. He isn't acting like he is hurting but I know he needs to poop! What else can I do... should I take him to the doctor?

childofGod51509

Asked by childofGod51509 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not worry unless he seems uncomfortable. When my DD started having constipation problems she would scream and double over like her tummy hurt. If he's comfortable, then he's fine. BF babies can put daily or once a week. Each kid is different. Don't give any more bananas (or other constipating food like cheese) and just keep feeding him breast milk and fruits and vegetables and he'll poop soon.

Also, I'd keep up the habit of him drinking prune juice daily. When my DD weaned from BFing at 18 months old she started having a lot of constipation problems. Her dr put her on Miralax. It was really harsh for her & gave her explosive bowel movements. My MIL suggested prune juice and the problem was solved!
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• unless you feel a lump in his abdomen (compacted poop) then I wouldn't worry too much about it...babies to do not poop regularly as we do...If you feel a lump or he seems to be in pain or straining to poop, then call the doctor.

as always, I am not a doctor, just giving advise.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• As long as it doesn't appear to be bothering him there is nothing to worry about, breastfed babies can go up to 10 days without having a BM. I would stop the solids for now if i were you!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with the pp's, but don't give KARO syrup. Some docs recommend it, but it even says on the KARO website to NOT give to infants! I know you didn't ask about it, but from personal experience, try dipping hiney in warm water for ten min!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thank you ladies, ya'll were a great help =)
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009