Turning down a job.

I'm so lucky this week, I got two job offers. The one I'm going to take has no travel, better hours, and will be less stressfull, but it also pays less, has less security, and my be less challenging/interesting. I'm taking the first one because I have two 6 year olds in 1st grade, but if I didn't, I would have taken the second. My question is, how do I turn down the second in such a way as not to burn that bridge should I want to work there in the future? Any suggestions at all would be helpfull. Thanks so much.

Stacie

staciejung

Asked by staciejung at 9:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think that the best way would be to just be honest with them. And to be short and sweet. While you appreciate the offer, you have been offered a job that is more convenient to your schedule due to your children and are going with that one.

Don't lie or try to make up an excuse...or blow them off. Short, sweet, simple and to the point.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 9:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with jlry_ldy. Saying exactly what she wrote will leave the door open for the future, by showing them exactly what it is that is preventing you from taking the job while making it clear that it's not them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thank them for the opportunity they have offered you and let them know that you have been offered another position that is a better fit for your lifestyle.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009