What are your Christmas traditions?

This is my son's 2nd Christmas, he will 20 months. It is the first christmas me and my husband are separate. I want to start some new holiday traditions with just the 2 of us. I will have him Christmas Eve and morning then his dad will take him the rest of the day. Christmas Eve will be with my family, morning just us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• We usually spend christmas eve with my family and christmas day with DH's family...but when we get up christmas morning, I always make cinimon rolls and hot chocolate.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Look into the Elf on a shelf kit- its something to start around Thanksgiving! also because of seperations and big family my family now has xmas everyother year in January! It works out great. My sisters step son always comes for xmas and my ex and I never fight over the holidays now. And both my girls have december birthdays so its great to have gifts later - plus the sales are awesome!
    when i was little xmas eve was always with dad at gma's with chili and potluck (mom always helped us make a dish to take) xmas morning was a huge breakfast while stepdad put together new toys xmas dinner was with step dads family .

i'd say look at a specail xmas breakfast for the 2 of you (my family was cherry crepes we loved them! and still count on them at mom's xmas breakfast!! even in January)
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• After Christmas eve activities, take him out for a drive in the car or a walk around the neighborhood to look at Christmas decoration displays. We've done that every single year that I can recall since I was very little. Every Christmas Eve was a big family gathering for a meal and gift exchange, then we would make our plate for santa, and then get in the car to drive home, but we would drive through the nicer neighborhoods to see all their lights. Then home to bed, and waking up early the next morning to see what Santa brought us. Now, we have our own tradtions. Last year was the 1st year we cut down our own tree, and will be doing that again this year. Then while we decorate its hot cocoa, apple cider, and graham crackers. That night, a Christmas movie. Through the season we have different crafts we do, but your DS probably not old enough for that. Christmas morning, cinnamon rolls and opening presents!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We go to mass on Christmas Eve, since it is the Children s Mass and they kids get to go up and listen to the story of the first Christmas. Then we head home and have a light Christmas Eve supper. Usually a nice warm soup and some sandwiches with Christmas Cookies afterwards...and Hot Cocoa. We then let my son (or will let him this year) pick a Christmas Movie and we all snuggle on the couch and watch a Christmas Movie (since none of my family is in the area) If we were at home we would spend the evening at his parents house doing a big dinner and opening a present each. We put out the stockings and treats for santa and the reindeer. Then we read T'was the night before Christmas and head to bed. On Christmas day we do a HUGE breakfast before opening Christmas presents. After presents I make a ham and all the fixings for my family and I. If we were home I would help my mom with all the food and we just spend the day as a family
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Pick a favorite Christmas movie and watch it together before you go to bed on Christmas eve. My two children, now 23 and 13, have watched The Grinch Stole Christmas together since they were little.  Because my daughter sometimes was with her dad during Christmas she wasn't always there with the rest of our family.  However, this tradition is something she and my son (her half-brother) can always share no matter when we see her over the holidays.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• This year I will be Having a Christmas Party at my house for my FAMILY..Then Christmas day we go over to MIL and FIL's for Christmas to be with them! She has like the best Party ever!!Lol! But usually we Switch Holidays..Like next year we will be having X-mas with my family and So on
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 2:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well I always have a huge family party on Christmas eve, after the party we put our kids to sleep and we put the gifts under the tree. On Christmas morning they know they can go to the tree until we wake up (we dont want to miss and we want to take pics) they open their gifts and we go to my MIL house for a Christmas day celebration. Weird fact the adults and teens get all thier gifts on the Chrismas eve party at my house at 12:00 am LOL
    nily

Answer by nily at 10:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2009