How do I get my 2 year old to listen to me?!?

Ok, here's the deal... I'm going insane! My daughter is 2.5 & I have tried EVERYTHING I can possibly think of (spanking, bribing, being more lenient, yelling, redirecting, asking politely...) She won't listen to me. I feel like I am yelling all day long. I'm tired of begging her to stop jumping on the couch, to pick up her toys, to stop throwing her clothes all over her room... Did I mention I am tired? I know 2 years old is supposed to be hard, but we have WAY more bad... excuse me, horrible days than good. I can't get her to do anything. I'm scared b/c she really doesn't react to anything. I take away snack time & throw away toys... HELP!!

mrsvedaj

Asked by mrsvedaj at 9:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Quit yelling and remain consistant...yelling/spanking shows her a lack of control on your part. Pick one consequence and stick to it for at least a week, if you get no better reaction, then change the consequence until you find one that works...my DD hates time out sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor where no one is in the room and she cannot hear or see the tv and isn't allowed any toys until she behaves and then can get up.

No more bribing, this only encourages her to do it again (if I do this, I get that), you might try whispering or dropping your vioce lower...this works with mine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Bribery is an encouragement. Yelling rarely works. Be firm. Be consistent. Be repetitive. If she's jumping on the couch, remove her from the couch and say firmly "No jumping on the couch." If she does it again, remove her again. Give a consequence.

Two year olds lack the impulse control to stop what calls to them. She hears don't jump on the couch, but darn, that couch is just begging to be jumped on. :) Her impulse control just isn't mature enough to put the big red stop sign up. Understand that's going to take a LOT of reminders for it to click.

Make cleaning up fun. It's a game. It's not a chore or punishment. "Let's race to see how can pick up more toys before the timer goes off!" or "Can you find me something blue and put it in the toy box?" or even "Who can get to those dirty clothes first and get them in the basket?" My two will do anything for a race. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2009