printer question

I know this probably sounds stupid, but I am not sure.

If I have a Dell Computer do I have to have a Dell printer? I don't know if the connections on all printer brands are the same so I don't know if I have to only use Dell printer. My is starting to act up and I may need a new one but the Dell ones are so expensive and the ink is also very expensive.

KMIassogna

Asked by KMIassogna at 10:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Shopping

• As far as I know, you can use any printer with any computer, same as monitors. You might have to get something to put on the end of the cable to match the computer connection, but I doubt it. I think it's all pretty standard. My lexmark printer has a usb connector, so I don't even have to plug it into the printer connection, I can just plug it in anywhere.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No, you don't have to have a Dell printer; I have a Dell computer and an Epson printer. Most printers these days are compatible with USB cords (like what you use to charge a digital camera) instead of serial (two rows of pin-like holes and you have to screw in the cord), and unless you have a really old computer, you should have USB ports. But most printers don't come with the hook-up cable at all any more, so even if you only have a serial port, you can buy whatever cable you need.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No. We have 2 Apple computers, 2 Dell computers and 1 HP computer at our house and we have 3 HP printers and 1 Canon printer. Like Tropicalmama said, you may have to use a different cord or something (Im not that tech savy) but any printer should work. One of our HP's is wireless as well. Plus with our network in the house, we can print from any of our computers to most all of the printers. How we can do that, I have no idea. Like I said, Im not THAT tech savy.. lol
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 10:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Your only real problem would be if your computer is running Windows Vista. If so then the new printer you buy has to be Vista compatable. I found that out the hard way when my sister -in-law bought a new computer with Vista on it and we could not get her old printer to be recognized. Had to go out and buy her a new printer, but I got her old one as I still at this moment in time refuse to upgrade to Vista.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 10:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• thanks to all for the answers
    KMIassogna

Answer by KMIassogna at 3:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2009