Is it possisble that my four year old can show signs of hyperactivity in the home, and not school?

yaya2005

Asked by yaya2005 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Generally if a child is truly hyperactive, they're hyperactive 24 hours a day. They can't control it part of the time. My middle son was diagnosed as clinically hyperactive. He was busy from conception, he moved non stop in my belly, when he was born he rarely slept, and as he got older even in his sleep he moved around. I was afraid that he wouldn't be able to go to school because he couldn't be still for a minute. In kindergarten and first grade he had a teacher that let him go to the back of the room and run in circles if he needed to, and in 2nd grade he had a teacher that actually let him move around as long as he kept one knee on his chair. There really was never a time when he was still. He couldn't sit still to watch a movie, and when he played video games he was always moving around.

If your child isn't hyper in school, he's probably not truly hyper active, be happy about that!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I'd say if they are hyper at home and not at school it's more likey related to the environment.... maybe more disipline or rules are needed if they are out of control at home.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Four year olds are pretty hyper anyway, especially boys, so if he can control it at school he's probably not really hyperactive. Some kids really thrive in a school environment because it's so structured, they can relax when they know what to expect for the day.
    MommyLi288

Answer by MommyLi288 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my son does the same thing. for awhile i thought maybe he had adhd but now i just think that the school enviroment is more structured than the home enviroment and that might be why
    dusty_rose2003

Answer by dusty_rose2003 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• A child that is truly hyperactive, is so in ALL situations not just in certain situations. If it is just in certain situations, then it's the environment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my child has the same problem.his teacher said it is because there is so much structure at school and not much time to get out energy that when they get home they are letting it all out. my son went from no nap at home to a 2 hour nap at head start so he is wild when he gets home but on the days they dont have school he si back to his self.
    mommytolots

Answer by mommytolots at 8:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009