Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ex and I living together do I stop his Child support?

My exBF n I are living together (attempting working out). I work full time and go to school as a 3/4time student. I have a 12 yr n we have a 2yr together. I got child support when we seperated when she was 6months. he drank heavily worked on the road and partied n was never part of the family. I moved away to be with family to help so i could go to school. He has cleaned up, his new job here is making zilch in cash, he is now looking for a 2nd job (still looking for a better first job but no luck). We are suppose to be splitting bills but he has made no money n i use the child support for all our groceries and i have been paying all of bills n daycare even tho he is suppose to do half. I dont know if i should stop it to show "good faith" I'm more scared that he will still not pay half n i will no longer have grocery money. sounds stupid but i've been screwed over by others, but also want to show him I'm working on us

Answer Question

Asked by roxyann76 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Relationships

Level 6 (115 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • I would still expect him to pay up until the time that you get married. Especially since you say that he has made no money and isn't even paying half of the bills. He needs to stop sounds like he is using you as free living

    Answer by Jademom07 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • honestly, don't stop it. Maybe after a year you can but right now I wouldn't. You don't trust him yet so let him prove himself first.

    Answer by ZaTa at 10:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • I would not let him live with you. You can try to work it out with him living someplace else. This will be very confusing for the kids. What if it doesn't work out?

    Do you want to be with a guy that can't find a job, even if he is the father of your children?

    If he doesn't live with you then there is no problem with child support. Too bad if he doesn't have somewhere to live. Not your problem.


    Answer by Gailll at 10:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • no, it would be too hard to get back if you were to split again.

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Don't stop but put that money in a college trust fund. This way he knows you are it all good in faith for your dd future. I don't think he would have a problem with that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • NO

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • No if he's not pulling his share keep child support coming at least you will get that much help.

    Answer by mommorgan at 11:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • if you are living together legally no you are not supposed to collect support, but there may be an exception because he is not paying bills/daycare. If he is ok with it I would countinue collecting unilt you get married Or he pays his half of everything. If this was me I wouldn't live with a man who can't /woon't pay his half, but hey its your life.good luck.

    Answer by maiahlynn at 11:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Keep the child support but deduct it from his half. He shouldn't have to pay twice

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • From experience....Don't stop it! Keep things the way there are until your married would be my advice!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.