Have you fallen for the BS Stereotypes?

I have been an activist with the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws for about a year. During this past year, one thought that always lingered in my head was, “how can we end the stigma surrounded by marijuana?” You know the old sayings “pot head” “Rastafarian” “lazy stoner”.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 10:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana"

The dependence on marijuana forms as a bad habit. Just as eating junk food is a bad habit for some, chronically smoking grass is a bad habit for some. Does it have any withdrawal effects? Nope...none. But, people can get used to it, & WANT to smoke it everyday because they like it. Creating a bad habit, or a dependancy. Dependency & addiction are different.

this is fun. My psychopharomocology studies were AWESOME! If only people knew how amazing MJ really is...int he past 10 years MJ ALONE has helped scientises learn more about our own brain. FACT: We have a receptor in our brain SPECIFICALLY to uptake THC, and nothing else.

MJ is a scientific breakthrough....SERIOUSLY!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Our opponents of the marijuana law reform movement use these stigmas to their advantage which is most likely why half of them are still around. They advertise slogans such as “smoke pot and you can become a burrito taste tester” or “a couch potato remote controller specialist.” They are basically implying that if you smoke pot you will amount to nothing and become a loser “pot head” who can’t accomplish anything in life. Really? So how is it that young professional women in powerful positions with tons of responsibility can smoke marijuana and still work 12 hour days? Doesn’t make much sense does it? So why is there still this stigma about marijuana? Because professional women around the country have not “come out of the closet.” It’s not often that you see a typical “pot head” wearing “stilettos.”

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Women are so “hush hush” about using marijuana because of two basic fears; losing their jobs and facing criminal prosecution. I am surrounded by my close female friends who are all in their mid-twenties and just starting their careers. These are women who are teachers, managers, nurses, and even some who work for the local, state, and federal governments. Although they all wholeheartedly support ending marijuana prohibition they all fear coming out and saying so. Most of them fear that if they speak out the authorities will be after them or they will get fired because of it. It takes a lot of courage for young professional women to come out of the closet, which is why in the Marie Claire article the names of the women in the stories were changed. Although this article is a huge step in the right direction because it spreads awareness of marijuana prohibition, we still need more women to come forward.

Friday

• Fortunately, I don’t need courage to come out of the closet. I don’t have the two basic fears most women do. I work as a paralegal for an attorney (also a “Stiletto Stoner” and a member of NORML’s legal committee). That being said, the first fear for me is completely moot. Now I wouldn’t say I have no fear of criminal prosecution because that would be naïve, but it does ease your nerves working in the legal profession and knowing your rights. As a member of the NORML organization, I know I have some of the best criminal defense attorneys in the country on my side. So for me it doesn’t take courage. I’m proud to be able to put a name and face to the “Stiletto Stoners” and to be fighting against the War on Drugs.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• There are women in the marijuana law reform movement who are professionals, mothers, grandmothers, patients and even former law enforcement

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Cheers to them all for having enough courage to come out and stand up for their rights, our rights, and the rights of our future generations. Ladies, lets all come out of the closet to end this stigma associated with marijuana and end marijuana prohibition for good!

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Delia Pratico
    Board of Directors, NORML NJ
    (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws New Jersey)

http://networkedblogs.com/p14688652

Friday

• well good for you...you pothead, lol. Not everyone wants to see marjuana legallized. Some of us don't want yet another drug out there corupting our youth, homes, and such like alcohol has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think there are more important things to worry about.

No, I AM NOT high as I type this.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Being that MJ is still illegal, I hope these "stiletto stoners" don't get random drug testing. Is it really worth losing your job just so you can relax after hours?
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 11:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2009