my 5 month wakes up 2-3 times how to stop him?

he used to sleep through the nite for aboy 2 months and even when he was a newborn he only woke up once to feed. he is going to be 5 months old on the second and he wakes 2-3 times at night. ive tried not feeding him, but he has a fit he really wants to be fed each time. i started him on solid food to see if it would make him sleep longer but it didn't make a difference. any ideas of what to do?

Nicole_06

Asked by Nicole_06 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow! De ja vu! I had the exact problem when my little one was the same age. I'm not a fan of letting kids "cry it out." I consulted with all my mommy friends and even my doc, and they gave me different methods like just giving her water at night rather than milk and just picking her up and rocking her back to sleep. The one that worked: letting her grow out of it.

She's now 7 months and sleeps through the night. And, in my opinion, trying all the different methods was more frustrating than feeding her 2-3 times a night. Night after night of just rocking her while she screamed just made me sick to my stomach. It finally dawned on me that my child is not a horse: she does not need to be broken. So we resumed our regular schedule, and liek I said she grew out of it.

GL!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• is he teething? I would gently wake him up through out the day not allowing him to take too many naps & not let them be so long. give him a 8 oz bottle at 11pm. this worked for my boy who is know 4 months. he sleeps after his 11 pm bottle until 7 Or 8 am.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Its normal for a 5 month old to be hungry at night. He may be going through a growth spurt. What experts consider "through the night" to be is 12-5. Feed the little guy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• This is very normal. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; she was 14 months before she was sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Babies have little tummies and need to eat often, especially when they have growth spurts. I would have lost my mind if we didn't co-sleep; it was easy for me to go back to sleep while my baby nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• do u have him on a sched? my daughter slept thru the night from 3 months. occasionally she would wake up, and we would just put her back to sleep. keep the routine. if babies sleep all day long, then they are going to get up during the night. so maybe the internal clock is messed up?
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• That is completely normal - - some babies sleep well, others do not, and still others start out well and go through periods of waking up a LOT before going back to sleeping well. It might be a growth spurt, it could also be that he just needs some extra comforting and you feeding him is what does it for him.
    Starting solids to get a baby to sleep longer is a myth - - it "seems" to work for some babies, but out of sheer coincidence. By DD slept 8-9 hour stretches from 2 months on, and that didn't change when I started solids at 6 months. My DS was up every 2 hours on the dot until he was 9 months old, and that was 3 months AFTER starting him on solids. Even now at 10 months he is up 2 times and wants to eat.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• He could be going through a growth spurt or teething. When he wakes up feed him if that's what he needs. This stage won't last forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• How does he fall asleep at night? Does he go to sleep eating? If so, the process of nursing or bottle (whichever it is you use) can become a self-soothing mechanism. We all wake up during the night to some degree. most of us get back to sleep before we even register we weren't. For people that have specific external soothing mechanisms, however, it can be hard to get back to sleep without bringing that mechanism back in. For an infant that soothes to sleep at the breast or with a bottle, waking at night will mean a feeding session is needed to get "BACK" to sleep. If he *is* eating before bed, make sure he's not falling off into a deep sleep while eating and then going directly to sleep. Drowsy is ok - sleep is not.

And, he may simply need to eat. Growth spurts often come around the 3s - 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, etc. Growing kids often need to eat more. Teething kids often want to nurse or bottle more.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Normal normal normal. Sleep patterns are temporary in year one. Just feed him. He'll grow out of it.

Besides, if you sleepmore than three hours in a row you're in violation of the Mommy Contract. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2009