WHO THINK'S ITS SAFE TO GIVE YOUR KIDS THE H1N1 FLU SHOT?

meghas4kids

Asked by meghas4kids at 11:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• I think it's safer than not giving it to them. JMO. My children won't get flu shots this year, though. It's already going around and there just isn't enough to go around.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• neverrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It's about as safe as any other vaccine.

It could save your child from being sick for a week. Some children have to be hospitalized. Of course there is the chance that your child could die from the disease. There have been no reported deaths from the vaccine.

Will my grandson get it. NO. He does not go to day care or school. We do not take him in crowds. He is low risk. He is 13 mo and still breastfed. Of course breastfed babies would be expected to have less chance of dehydration and quicker recovery.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I'm not letting my kids be guinea pigs. Besides, I'm a SAHM and we're home most of the day. We wash our hands frequently when we're out and bring lots of sanitizer.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think that it is just as safe as any other vaccine. My kids are teens and are healthy, so I would personally wish to wait until those that are higher on the priority list have a chance to receive it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Sanitizer should never be used with children. If they are young enough that they lick their hands or your hands they can get sick or die. The sanitizer changes the normal bacteria on your hands. It also dries your hands and you get cracks and dry around your fingernails.

Staph aureus can become a normal bacteria on your hands. It gets in those cracks and causes infections. Sometimes you can see a gold crust. Aureus means gold. S. aureus infections are serious and resistant to many antibiotics. MRSA is one form of S. aureus.

You can put paper towels in a zip lock bag with a little water, castile soap and olive oil. These can be used for hands, face, diaper changes ect. Only make enough for the day. You can have a bunch of bags ready with the paper towels and then all you have to do each day is put in the water, soap, and oil.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my husband is a pediatrician. we give our children all the necessary vaccines. we gave them the flue mist ( lasts longer than the shot) a couple of months ago.. however we will NOT be giving them the H1N1 vaccine. it is still way to premature , not enough testing. plus. swine flue and regular flue have the same treatement .. doctors aren't even testing for the swine flue anymore unless it is a very serious case. if a sick child tests positive for flue, they just give him and his family Tamiflue, and that's it.
    smart hygene can help. but it will not prevent 100%
    proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We will not be giving it. It's too new. In my heart, I do not feel it has been tested enough. No one in my family will be getting it or the seasonal flu vaccine.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 12:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Not me. I am not sure. I see these mom's on the news standing in long lines trying to have their kids get it. I even saw a pregnant Mom saying that she was not allowing her prschooler out of the house in fear of him bringing it home. She was nearly in tears because she would probably not be getting the shot that day.

We have already had the H1N1 shot offered to us at our kids school for free-we turned it down. I don't trust it. I don't trust it's newness.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We got our 10 month old daughter the regular flu shot yesterday. I think it's better safe than sorry. But the H1N1 shot? Hell no! Too new, not tested, and not enough to go around. I'm a SAHM anyway, she doesn't go to places where there are tons of grubby, snotty little children.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009